Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pair two Smart Remotes to one TV

(Topic created on: 23-05-2019 03:18 AM)
johndgrayson
First Poster
Options

I tried pairing two Samsung Smart Remotes to my new Samsung Q80 TV but within 10-20 seconds I get a message that the TV is already paired with a remote and then unpairs from my first remote; this despite both remotes working just fine during that brief period.  Why would Samsung not allow this?  Is my only option third party remotes? Is there some way to do this with the Samsung Smart Remotes?

43 REPLIES 43
DMR11
Apprentice
Options

Hi There .

Update from 18th August 2020: Remotes IR remotes still working well on problems. Hubby got use to the wifi and I use the IR worth ever penny.

Just bought a 75" and the IR remote BN59-01303A works on this TV TOO..  🙂

18/8/202 reply. I hope it works for you.

I had bought the Samsung 2x 65” 8k TV’s in New Zealand May 2020 and like all posted to see if anyone from Samsung could help but No even several phone calls to them did not help.

But I found something that worked. So thought I would share. We happen to buy a 32” smart TV with the remote style IR (inferred remote) remote we are all use too and I thought I wonder if that remote will work on the new 8K TV and WOW it did and even works the sound bar too. So It seem that you can use the old style IR remotes and have multiples of them like always, But only one of the new Blue tooth remotes. So we are using one Blue tooth and one IR and they work happy together no clashes.

The remote that works for me was BN59-01303A I bought them off E-Bay for about $10. NZ dollar including shipping. In the listing it tells you what model they will work on. Now I know they work. I am now thinking of buying more of the IR and put the silver Blue tooth one aside. Muscle memory you get use to where the buttons are :-).

We foot note: I also bought silicone covers to go over these remotes off E-bay too. The silver remote was so cold to handle. I bought different coloured covers for each room I got them for both of the model remotes and sound bars.

If this helps for you. I would be keen to know.

Cheers Donna

0 Likes
PollyMary
Apprentice
Options

On my 2017 TV, 4 years ago on Spectrum we used 2 Spectrum remotes. 
we went too AT&T for two years and couldn’t use 2 AT&T remotes but could use a generic remote with our AT&T remote. When we went back to Spectrum we could no longer use two Spectrum remotes and had to do Samsung and generic. 
I have no idea what will happen with the new Q80 we’re going to get. Probably stuck doing the same Samsung plus generic 😫

0 Likes
DSS1976
Student
Options

It’s truly ridiculous. This one feature omission is enough to change to LG when the time comes.

PollyMary
Apprentice
Options

you use to be able to pair two remotes to one TV but not anymore. 

I was talking to the TV Geek at Best Buy and he doesn’t know of any TV that takes two remotes anymore. 

Just like only one set of Bluetooth headphones. 

A previous hack that worked for me in the past was one Samsung remote and one universal. My husband had the universal because it was too small for me to read 🤪

Good luck. 

0 Likes
PollyMary
Apprentice
Options

It did on my last Samsung. Samsung remote and universal remote. I can only hope it will work on my new TV. 

0 Likes
PollyMary
Apprentice
Options

That’s great. My problem is I’m currently torn between the Samsung at the Sony. I had Samsung forever but all the TV people are sending me to Sony because of light sensitivity. But I’d have to learn a whole new TV and remote 😵💫

0 Likes
robstars89
First Poster
Options

I know im way late on your question but you from my experience. I didnt have to even pair them from 2 different 2021 model samsung tvs.  also have a older flatscreen probably from "2010" ish that has a original remote thats not "Smart" or the tv and it works on my new 2021 model tv. So there is 3 Different samsung TVs in my house hold some smart, some not and with out doing anything the remote controls all work on any of those samsung tv's

0 Likes
PollyMary
Apprentice
Options

Thanks. On our Samsung two remotes worked for apps which was great. 
however, our Samsung geek sent us to Sony due to my light sensitivity. I’m out of luck on getting two remotes for the apps. Both can do the TV but only the Sony does the apps. Guess which remote I have☺️ Actually, we share very well. Thanks again. 

0 Likes
OldFart
First Poster
Options

I just setup a SamsungTV this month. Model QN65QN90AAFXZA. I got a second battery operated remote from Amazon. It looks just like the one than came with the TV, except the SAMSUNG label at  the botttom is in grey, not white letters.  It paired without a problem. Both remotes have been working fine at the same time now for 6 days. The only problem I have found is when I give Voice command using Bixby. Only 1 remote at a time will pair to use Voice, the other will still do everything but Voice (that I've tried). If I try to issue a Voice command on the 2nd, it wants to re-pair. It will then respond. But then the 1st will no longer accept a Voice command without repairing. So now the spouse gets the remote that is paired for Voice, and I use the other. I don't like talking to devices anyway, and spouse doesn't like the multiple manual steps of changing the TV source from Cable to Netflix, PrimeVideo, etc. Her only problem is getting to the SpectrumCable  Channel Guide & Schedule. Can't find the right command. "Guide" goes to the  Samsung e-Guide. "Cable Guide"  and "Cable Schedule" try to connect to Live TV source that is not there, "Spectrum Guide" takes 30-60 seconds opening and going to the Spectrum App's  tv schedule.

0 Likes
Wilbur1
First Poster
Options

You can not pair 2 smart remotes but like others have said you can buy a Samsung universal INFRARED remote similar to the one you have. there are lots of them on Amazon. The only difference I see is the infrared remote doesn't have voice control. 

0 Likes