Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

BBC Iplayer not working

(Topic created on: 09-12-2019 09:42 PM)
Tiptail1
Apprentice
Options

I had a message on BBC iplayer today saying that I needed to update software in order to keep using the services. I looked at the relevant thread on the help forum. I've reset and updated the TV software but it's still not loading tv shows. Can anyone give me any pointers? I have a UE40F5300

Go to solution
94 REPLIES 94
Wyn
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem on my Samsung tv modelUE40H6400AYXZT

0 Likes
Shocksmith
First Poster
Options

Moderators,

Would it be possible to have some sort of official update on this? Clearly there are some models that will be unsupported in the future and some that will continue to be supported. Many of the posts here indicate people with TVs that are supposed to be supported having issues. I doubt that this is how you planned this update to be rolled out? There is also some conjecture around updates being in the pipeline to fix this problem but this has not come directly from Samsung. Some sort of acknowledgement of the problem, and what Samsung are doing to fix it would obviously be very useful. It seems at the moment you have a lot of unhappy customers, who may not be quite so unhappy if they knew what was being done about this.

0 Likes
kopperdrake
Journeyman
Options

@Dunny81 wrote:

BBCi player currently not working on tv model UE32H5500AK current software update is 2900 

it initially came up with message that to continue watching then software would need to be updated, if software was up to date then discard the message. So checked software which was all up to date BBCi player loads fine comes up as it usually would but if i go to watch anything it just buffers away then comes up 'something wemt wrong loading programme' and it doesn't matter what i choose within iplayer i get the same message....any fix to the issue? already reset smarthub, there's no option to delete & re-install iplayer because that was my first thought. And all software is up to date 

0 Likes
JBTE
Apprentice
Options

Many thanks, Asad. IPlayer now working.

0 Likes
devoncharlie
Apprentice
Options

Hi all frustrated Samsung owners,

I have the same problem with model UE32H6410SU (32” H6410 Series 6 Smart 3D Full HD LED TV) bought March 2015, model is a 2014 I think.

1. Current Software version for this model is 2900, no further updates available either via TV or the Samsung download support page for the model.

2. BBC iPlayer app info on the TV indicates app is version 3.09014 dated 30/10/2018 (?!)

3. There are a few other threads on this community forum on the same iPlayer outage subject, some historical, one of which implies a previous iPlayer outage issue was a motherboard issue (which had to be replaced) versus just a software issue?

4. BBC have addressed (rather blandly) the issue here... but it does not list my TV model as being affected...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/recent-changes-to-iplayer/samsung-closure-2019

5. Samsung have mentioned the issue here but again the models listed as "aiming" to get a software update in "early 2020" don't include my model...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/bbc-iplayer-software-update/

6. I've emailed both BBC and Samsung with all the info, hoping for a sensible reply from either or both

7. I've read this full thread and some posts imply it could be a security certificate signing issue...if that was the case it ought to be fairly simple??

8. Hopefully a Samsung moderator will reply to my post with an update and timescale, it does seem pretty poor that if the BBC warned (?) Samsung that iPlayer would be affected then something was not done in advance. If the BBC did not warn or or co-ordinate then that is not on either...Who knows? and how on earth are you supposed to find out...

9. Work around if you have an apple tv box - bbc iplayer available on 4th and 5th generation via app store. My apple tv box is 3rd gen - no solution for me

10. Another work around is using (or getting) an amazon fire tv stick (or other smart stick/box) which has iplayer on BUT

11. If you don't have either and rely on a smart TV, then you're at the mercy of the BBC and/or Samsung who both ought to be taking their environmental responsibilities more seriously.

12. In these days of environmental concern etc, there ought to be some sort of regulation to ensure that the lifetime of products are extended to the full possible range to avoid repeat purchases and wasted resources (how many old phones have you got in a drawer that can't be updated...)

(I have a perfectly good and working Sony TV from 2012 which no longer supports any apps it originally came with (including iplayer and youtube))

0 Likes
kopperdrake
Journeyman
Options

Right - I've managed to get mine working. Go to this website and fill out the form to initiate a chat session. You'll need your model number and serial number from the back of the telly.

https://e-contactus.samsung.com/uk/m/webchat

and wait for a chat session to start. The person on the other end took control of my TV (UE32H5500AKxxU) - they talked me through the process on how to do this. I then ended up having to sign into my BBC acccount using my mobile (you can also use a laptop/desktop), follow a few more instructions, and it's now working. All in all it took about five minutes.

I did ask if the next TV update should automate this process, and they said the update from the 9th should have fixed it. When told that there were some of us out here where it didn't, they suggested others do the same I did - get in touch (via the web chat option above I assume).

Hope this helps. Back to Dublin Murders tonight - yay :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
Maya10
First Poster
Options

Tv model is UE48 H6400 

im on the latest update (2400) 

iplayer loads fine but won’t physically play a program. Still asking for an update.  Please fix this. 

0 Likes
Maya10
First Poster
Options

Programs load fine but not able to watch anything. Stays in loading mode or a black screen. It’s on the latest update 2900. Also, I don’t have the option to update online.

0 Likes
tvquestion
Apprentice
Options

Same problem.  BBC iplayer stopped working sometime week of 9th Dec 2019. 

My TV model is UE32H5500

software 2900.0

Followed instructions to update again.  No joy.

This is poor.  The people on here who have managed to find the site, sign up and post, must be the tip of the iceberg. 

I will try the so called "chat" but don't hold out much hope.

Well done Samsung, just before Christmas.

Jan_Lim
First Poster
Options

My samsung model UE55F8000, i have the same problem. Iplayer won't work. Samsung chat ignore me. Not sure what am i suppose to do.  

0 Likes