Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto motion plus

(Topic created on: 24-07-2018 09:55 PM)
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi all , been playing with the auto motion plus settings , particularly the judder setting , I've noticed that watching for example coronation Street that with judder turned on to say 5 I notice more judder , if I'm watching a film and it's on 5 I don't see any judder also 5 seems to be a good setting to stop soap opera effect and reduce frame rate drop , anyone know why I get judder on standard TV with setting on 5 but get no judder on a film ?? Thanks 

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Buggy software.

A bit about soap opera effect, it is where films at 24 frames per second (which is bordering on the minimum frame rate that fools us into seeing motion) is digitally enhanced up to 48 or 96 frames per second.  This results in one of the characteristics of films, the slow frame rate, and the aesthetics that produces, being removed, so it looks more like it was filmed on video, i.e. it's like a soap opera.  The interesting thing is, in surveys and tests it is found that younger people who have grown up with YouTube and videos, prefer the higher frame rate or soap opera effect when watching films, but older people, remembering back to watching films at "the flicks", prefer the slower original frame rate.  There is nothing wrong with the soap opera effect on films, if anything they are more realistic to watch, unless of course you are film enthusiast who wants to recreate every nuance of going to the cinema in their own home, flickery frame rates and all.

Eventually all films will be in 60 or even 120 frames per second (so all like a 'Soap opera'), rather than flickery 24 fps, because that is more realistic and allows us to see the full resolution on anything moving on large screens, without doing this there is little point in going to say 8K.  The only thing stopping this from happening now is cost and technology (and an older generation who think they don't like it), as it's easier to add CGI effects when you have only 24 individual frames a second as opposed to 60 frames or 120 frames per second to process.

The trouble with modern displays is they are sample and hold and the image blurs from our own eyes tracking fast-moving objects that aren't actually moving on the screen as they are a series of static images.  The resolution we perceive drops drastically when something moves on the screen because our eyes are moving, but the object we are following is static for 1/24th or 1/50th of a second.  So blur reduction interpolates and creates extra frames so each individual frame is shown for less time, i.e. doubling the frame rate to 1/100th or 1/120th a second.  It's not perfect as you can get artefacts as the processing can only guess how these new frames might look like.  This is why filming/videoing in say 120 frames per second is on the horizon and some places have it already.

The soap opera effect isn't a negative, and once you get use to watching films that way, it's hard to watch them at their original slow frame-rate.  It's an acquired taste, but after a bit of time the soap opera effect on films makes them more immersive and provides more of that feeling we are watching something through a window onto another world.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes