Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-03-2019 04:33 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
MarkWilliam
Apprentice
Options

Also it was interesting, we could not update Netflix due to lack of memory, so I deleted all the apps.  As I deleted apps, of course no free memory became available at all.  There is some serious issue with memory handling on these Samsung TVs.  I have the latest Scandinavian version of the Firmware install, and actually nothing will update as of that date, so it is probably the source of the problem.

In any case, have not seen  or heard of any method that gets me out of the 0 memory/Smart Hub is updating (in perpetuity) issue.  Smart tv with 0 Apps is not a smart tv.

Wife will run a google chromecast as an interim solution.  Long term solution seems to be to buy another brand that offers customer support.  World is 'advancing' from the time when TVs lasted 10-20 years, to where they stop functioning properly after 3, and no one, even the producer knows how to fix them.

0 Likes
ShootUs
Apprentice
Options

So I have the same problem, bit discapointed that it's problem throughout quite a few of the samsung range of tv's.  Spent 1 hour with online chat on samsung support.  They even logged in to the TV remotely and tried to fob me off by telling me it's a warning message only and have nothing to worry about.  I explained to the agent that it's not just a note that pops up it's a message that says "The Automatic update had failed - because I don't have enough memory space on the TV.  Eventually after  spending 30 mins on the TV he said he would escalate the problem to the engineers department and they would call me with a solution.  We don't expect to recieve a call, but I'll wait and see?  Some of the transript from our chat below:

Samsung

16:50:56 I understand Paul, but that message is just a reminder.

16:51:14There's nothing wrong with your TV, it's just a reminder to know.

16:52:20You may try to turn off the Automatic Update to check if you can still that message

ME

16:52:20No it is not a reminder! it say "The automatic update was not completed because of insufficient storage space. Delete appls or games to free up starage space"

16:52:41This is not a reminder

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It's infuriating that Samung are still playing dumb on this and pretending it's not an issue. That conversation with Samsung Support is exactly like the one I had last November. Yes, if you turn off automatic updates the message will go away, but that's not solving the problem! I'm pretty sure they won't contact you again.

I've still got the TV that has the  issue as I was hanging on to see if they could fix it with a firmware update, but nothing has happened. I'm going to tackle John Lewis again. I would like to stick with Samsung and upgrade to the NU8000 range but their attitude on this issue has left a very sour taste. I might go back to LG.

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Sorry to butt in here!!..I have just bought a new NU7100 tv and do not have this error yet..but just a thought..can you not turn auto update off for the apps you do not use? and just leave auto update on the ones that you do? would this not make the total mb update smaller and therefore acheievable?

0 Likes
ShootUs
Apprentice
Options

I would accept that, but on my Samsung I have no option to have the update on single apps.  On for all or Off for all!

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Sorry did'nt realise, like i say i have only just bought my TV so not sure how that side of it works as yet

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi Chris, once you get to know your TV it would be great if you could report back how much available memory you have for the apps, just to see how widespread the issue is. If you have around 200-300MB left you will be liable to have the issue. You can find out in settings - cog wheel in the top right in the Apps menu item. 

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

I will certanly check tonight and report back

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

I had this issue some months ago, I could update my apps by resetting the TV to factory defaults (and starting all the apps directly with the new versions I guess). From that moment I didn't see any issue.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

@AQuALoRd wrote:

I had this issue some months ago, I could update my apps by resetting the TV to factory defaults (and starting all the apps directly with the new versions I guess). From that moment I didn't see any issue.

OK I have checked mine and I also appear to suffer the same thing. I have 647 mb used and only 168mb free 

But when checking the apps they are all really small.. Only 5mb large.. So what is taking up all this space ? 

0 Likes