Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Anyone else tired of crappy firmware and endless excuses??

(Topic created on: 12-08-2020 02:12 AM)
Samstung2020
Student
Options

So first off, I never had to visit a manufacturer’s website to figure out how to enable or disable things. Older TVs were simple and concise - a lot smarter than these so called smart TVs. Let’s go down my list.. and I’m not the only one with these issues. All of them “unresolved” due to embedded software supposedly.. how convenient for Samsung to get paid for advertising - which I might add is no where to be found on the box of the television.

1) Advertising in the menu bar. You have a nice YouTube video on how to disable “interest based advertising”, but then the tv continues to run ***** on my home bar. I didn’t pay for this, or want this. Obviously you thought about it Damsung, and decided to make it not an option so future televisions will have the same feature. I might as well have paid nothing for my tv if you’re going to advertise and try to sneak it in. I hate ads. I don’t even watch movies with commercials anymore..

2) Mandatory handshake when unplugging and plugging in the HDMI cable. So every time you disconnect any of the HDMI cables and plug something else in, I have to wait 10 seconds for a stupid handshake that hasn’t recognized ANY of my three sources. Can’t be disabled either. Who designed this?? And firmware can’t touch it. Wow.. pretty smart tv. 

3) The remote - no source button or settings button, meaning I have to go to the home button, WITH advertising, to change sources. I’m not going to use the voice command option. That might be a good idea for those with impaired vision, but it’s not going to catch on in my opinion for mass majority. Then you have a bunch of crappy corporate buttons at the bottom - unassignable I might add. Maybe the four colour button is assignable.. still why don’t you have a source or settings button.. why?? For advertising.

Next time give your TVs away, since you and Netflix and all your friends are making big bucks at the cost of confusing software and selling advertising. This will be the last Samsung I ever own, and actually, with the digital motion ***** turned off, it’s not a bad TV. Digital motion doesn’t resemble CRT, plasma, projector,.. doesn’t look like television or film. Should be an option in the gaming section. You’d probably sell more TVs since the floor models default to auto motion plus. Garbage in my opinion. 

To close, why would you design televisions that  don’t have software/firmware upgrades?? $700-$3000 is still a lot of money to the mass majority out there. Looks greedy. Can you Samsung explain to me and the other folks out there what is possessing hardware manufacturers to be out of touch with what the consumer industry wants.. and even expects, when purchasing an expensive piece of hardware. 

Anon. (Canada)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
KindOldRaven
Pioneer
Options

Just use any old remote for the menu or source or settings buttons. Work just fine 😜 Just a tip, since that seems to be your main annoyance. You won't have to look at the advertisements anymore either.

View solution in context

4 REPLIES 4
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Samstung2020 ,

I would be happy to help, however, with Samsung support being localised and this being a European forum (the English language part is supported by the Samsung UK & Ireland team, for example), we're limited in what we can do for you in terms of direct support.

Have you been in touch with Samsung US about this issue, or shared it on the Samsung US Community (https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/ct-p/get-help-tvs)  to see if others in the US are reporting the same?

0 Likes
Solution
KindOldRaven
Pioneer
Options

Just use any old remote for the menu or source or settings buttons. Work just fine 😜 Just a tip, since that seems to be your main annoyance. You won't have to look at the advertisements anymore either.

Samstung2020
Student
Options

Hey thanks! I have a couple of remotes that are universal - a Rotel and a Meridian (Great UK product I might add). I’ll try them later. Also note though that one needs to disable the Smart Hub Autorun feature, to disable the home bar on start up. 

Cheers,

Simon

0 Likes
PenaM
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I have to reply to this old post. 

I absolutely agreed with these remarks. I have a QLED Q77. Pretty nice picture, mine is tuned to look good. But there are some bad things too.

• When I send Youtube form mobile to Samung TV, nice looking picture goes right out of the window, since TV shows a picture with ugly bright colors.
  • When watching side-by-side  for example Youtube and TV program, picture looks awful and too bright. When I look Youtube with TV's app, it is ok, when I stream to TV, it's too bright.
  • Same goes to sending Windows laptop screen to TV. It is too bright, I hate to look at it.
  • I have two times tried to use TV with Windows 10. I was able to send screen to TV and it worked for a while. Until the picture froze. Had to stop using it...
  • I hate adds on my home bar! 
  • HDMI handshake is annoyingly slow sometimes.
  • I SHOULD BE able to set and lock HDMI input with my own names.
  • Remote should be customizable, so that I could remove Netflix, Rakuten and Prime TV if I choose. And replace then with Porsche App or what ever, or disable them. F***ing annoying then someone accidentally pushes Rakuten button when watching a movie.
0 Likes