Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 10-05-2020 11:59 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
The111
First Poster
Options

(@Rauttis, please edit these links into your OP if possible, for better visibility)

For those experiencing the local dimming bug, please support my campaign/petition to Samsung to fix this bug. FWIW, I ran a similar campaign successfully in 2007 for another Samsung TV issue.

Petition 

More info

0 Likes
CrapSungFixYourJunk
First Poster
Options

Did the update fix anything?  I don't think so, we've just gotten used to a lack of brighness and a lack of HDR.  What a ***** product. 

Please people never buy anything Samsung! 

0 Likes
Ralfii
Apprentice
Options

Since Samsung doesn't want to take care of this, I tried it out a bit. All scenarios were tested without eco modes. Color space RGB full 10bit color depth. I set the resolutions in the NVIDIA control panel in the PC category.
My setup:
PC->Q800t (75) HDMI 4 -> HDR 4k 120 hz no game mode local dimming is broken.

PC->Q800t (75) HDMI 4 -> HDR 4k 120 hz Game Mode VRR local dimming is broken, the colors and contrast also look really bad.

PC->Q800t (75) HDMI 4 -> HDR 4k 100Hz
Started the timer again, what do we have here? The 6 minute mark is exceeded, now it switches to standard mode after about 7:20.
For me a half workaround and no solution.
It would be great if someone from the support team could get involved here to get the whole thing rolling again somehow.
Either it is still a software bug that should be patched urgently and long overdue or cheap panels have been installed that are overloaded at 120/100 hz and shut down non-essential systems :smiling-face:

Ralfii
Apprentice
Options

Talked to Samsung on the phone,
The problem is known, keyword RTX 3000. The newer models up to today are also said to be affected, I'll get a callback tomorrow and then I'll know more. I just find it interesting that Playstation and XBOX are also supposed to be affected or has this been fixed in the meantime?

0 Likes
peterQ95T
Explorer
Options

I have a S95B and have the same problem playing PS5 games.

0 Likes
Ralfii
Apprentice
Options

Ok, I'll mention it tomorrow. It is simply unthinkable for me that the problem has existed for so long and no solution is in sight

0 Likes
Ralfii
Apprentice
Options

A little update from me, because as an it guy, this doesn't give me any peace of mind.
The assumption that Samsung has to deliver an update here is clear, no question.
But for me I have now found a
workaround to be able to use the whole thing properly on the PC.
I have changed the input source on the TV from PC to games console. Then set the 4K 120HZ. The advantage here is that you have access to the color settings as well as the contrast enhancements and the color space. I think this is blocked in PC mode for reasons of latency (but I don't notice anything here and I do a lot of gaming on good monitors :winking-face: ).
Then HDR activated everything so far so good. I turned off contrast enhancement because the colors wash out too much for me. I turned up the SDR brightness in the Windows settings and it works fine. Now the usual procedure, HDR on and off and the timer on. Local dimming on high, mind you. after 10 minutes no reduction in brightness. so far so good, now switched to game mode which is unusable if you set the input as PC (Contrasts do not match and colors are also washed out).
VRR and HGiG activated in game mode. Local Dimming on high and contrast enhancement off. Waited 10 minutes and again no dimming.

So i tried everything again with contrast enhancement and what do we see? The error is back.
As a PC user, my recommendation:
Contrast enhancement off, I have tested a lot with HDR content and with a PC as the source, the content is simply distorted with contrast enhancement.
1. set input to game console
2. game mode on
3. color space on auto
3. activate 4k/120 Hz HDR
4. activate HGiG
5. deactivate contrast enhancement
5. activate VRR
6. set SDR slider in Windows to personal reference (I have it at 100, no washing out or something, looks like SDR)
7. run HDR calibration tool and be happy :smiling-face:
8. please report if it works for someone else.

PS: I have set the sharpness on the TV to 0, at least I don't notice any artifacts here with text etc.

Regards

0 Likes
Ralfii
Apprentice
Options

Hello again,

Technician connected remotely today and reset the EDID.
Local dimming High, contrast enhancer High as well as 120hz and VRR in console mode (PC is connected) no dimming even after 10 minutes.
Why in console mode?
In PC mode, the setting for the color space and the contrast enhancer (only in game mode) is greyed out, which makes the whole thing unusable.
So for all those who have a console, pick up your phone :winking-face:
If there is now a FW update that cleans up the PC mode, I'll be happy.
I showed him our post here while he was connected and he said he didn't know that at all ... He'll pass it on, let's see what happens. They want to get in touch again on Monday.

0 Likes
forceius
First Poster
Options

I experience a very similar issue on my q90r TV, but it's not related to game mode. When watching hdr10+ movies through Plex or Emby the brightness drops after exactly 6 minutes. Opening and closing the TV menu restores the brightness to its original value. When watching these kind of movies I find myself opening and closing the TV menu every 6 minutes because the picture quality is so much better before the brightness drops.

I've been in contact with Samsung support but their only suggestion was doing a factory reset and that didn't solve the issue.

0 Likes