Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneDrive Deleted My Photos

(Topic created on: 27-10-2020 09:10 AM)
callum_emery
Pioneer
Options
I've lost hundreds of photos of family and friends that really meant a lot to me. 

In Samsung Cloud, I found all of my albums automatically syncing with OneDrive without me choosing them to, so I unchecked all of the albums as I don't have nearly enough space in OneDrive for my photos and would prefer for them to be stored on my phone. 

I then went to OneDrive and deleted the uploaded photos, as they are taking up unnecessary space in the cloud. 

Only to my horror, after emptying the OneDrive recycle bin the photos are also removed from my gallery, gone permanently. I did not once click on the 'save space on my phone' option so the photos should've still been stored on my phone and not OneDrive. 

For anyone else that also doesn't want their photos in cloud storage, go to Samsung Cloud and check if all your albums are automatically being attempted to be uploaded.

And whatever you do, do not delete the photos in OneDrive as they are stupidly linked to the ones in your gallery.
21 REPLIES 21
Caitlin93
First Poster
Options

Exact same thing happened with me too, 6000 of my travel photos gone. I contacted samsung and they told me I never had any of those photos at the time I moved to onedrive and then never replied as I was also hoping they had a backup. I am devastated as the whole point in having them in the cloud was so that I never lost them!

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Yea I think I lost mine too. Think it's cause Gallery Sync was enabled. I've just corrected it by unlinking the account and enabling Camera Upload. Unfortunately with Gallery Sync, if you delete a photo on OneDrive it will delete it in your Gallery and vice versa. Kinda dumb since most would use Cloud for storage not syncing.

0 Likes
Members_7i2FINv
First Poster
Options

Today the same thing happened to me, incredible, i unlinked onedrive then deleted onedrive photos because they were too many, now to see that my gallery is missing 900 pictures

0 Likes
ShayB
First Poster
Options

This is exactly what happened to me today!!

I was transferring photos to my computer and was wondering why none of my files was appearing. I looked at my photo details and I noticed OneDrive logos and file names as "/onedrive/samsung gallery/DCIM/(photo name).jpg". Why would it have"/onedrive" as a file name I wondered?

So I proceeded to search if OneDrive would delete my photos on my device if I deleted the ones in the drive. They said it wouldn't, so I went ahead and proceeded to deleted them.

And now to my demise, some of the album photos that were synced with the cloud is now gone!!

I tried to restore the file from the recycling bin but of course it wouldn't because free users only get 5GB of space and I was trying to restore 12GB worth of photos that I didn't know was automatically uploaded as "onedrive" photos!

I'm devastated and infuriated.. 😭

0 Likes
emska_
First Poster
Options

Same thing happened to me, any solutions yet? I've just sent an email to Microsoft Support Team and will be awaiting a response.

0 Likes
emska_
First Poster
Options

Any response from OneDrive?

0 Likes
IRLperson23
First Poster
Options

Exact same thing happened to me. I contacted OneDrive support. They responded quickly and seemed helpful. Unfortunately, they said they cannot recover files deleted from the Recycle bin. OneDrive needs to correct this so others don't fall victim. A simple notification that the phots are being moved instead or copied could have saved all of our data! 

0 Likes
sdb_uk
First Poster
Options

This has happened to me as well.  Seems to have been a typical story: (i) my 5GB free OneDrive storage quickly fills up with photos and so I keep getting messages from Microsoft trying to get me to pay for extra storage; (ii) I go to OneDrive and delete the photos; (iii) I also empty the recycle bin since whatever is in there counts towards your 5Gb of storage; and (iv) when I went to my phone today, I was surprised [and very upset] to see that 2 months of photos are no longer on my phone.

Thanks to this thread I now understand that this is because of Gallery sync - something I knew nothing about.  At the very least, there should be a warning (with an explanation of the implications) before deleting photos from the OneDrive.

I have now unsynced Samsung and Microsoft via the instructions in my phone’s Gallery sync.  Even that was not easy and the instructions are very poor (you don’t find the same commands and options that Samsung say you will).

Overall, this is extremely poor – it’s a massive service failure that is completely avoidable by explaining what Gallery sync does.

0 Likes
GoGoWe
Student
Options

Does Someone found a Solution?
Just lost 2500 Photos I took in New York 3 Months ago

0 Likes
Purplish
Journeyman
Options

Same thing just happened to me and I am gutted. I never wanted one drive. I had never set it up but i just kept getting annoying notification that can't be cleared about my storage being full and asking to upgrade. So I just decided to delete them just to make it go away. Now my albums are half empty. Moving to apple and not looking back

0 Likes