Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update T500XXU2ATK3 on Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) SM-T500 breaks touch screen inputs intermittently

(Topic created on: 11-12-2020 01:10 AM)
RobP3
Journeyman
Options

The latest update T500XXU2ATK3 (EUX) on the Tab A7 SM-T500 renders the tablet unusable since it makes the touch screen stop recognizing inputs intermittenty for a few seconds every time.

This issue appears after updating via OTA from T500XXU2ATJ6 (a 300mb update), doesn't get fixed after a factory reset, but also happens on a brand new install of the whole T500XXU2ATK3 firmware right from the first screen after boot where I have to choose a language.

After reinstalling T500XXU2ATJ6 the tablet works perfectly, so it's not a hardware issue.

10 REPLIES 10
FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
This is very useful information @RobP3. I do hope that Samsung use it to implement a swift fix. When I contacted Samsung about a bug I discovered after a firmware update on my Tab A, they insisted that it needed to be sent in for repair (even though the issue wasn't there before the update at all and I was convinced it was due to a bug in the new ROM/firmware). Fortunately I didn't send it in for repair and Samsung soon issued a newer ROM still which allowed more time for the WiFi hardware to initialise before trying to connect and the problem was gone.

The fact that you were somehow able to revert to the previous ROM again and then the bug went away is convincing. I'm not going to ask how you did that here 😉
RobP3
Journeyman
Options

Where did you contact them? Here?

But yeah, after the update the issue appeared, reverting to the previous version fixed it, installing a full image of the latest firmware reintroduced it and reverting back fixed it again. It's 100% a software issue.

0 Likes
FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
Initially I made a zoom call to Samsung help which was when I was told they'd need it returned for repair but I think the effective way of getting it sorted in my case was to use the feature to report a bug that I found on my tablet. Using this Members app if you click on the headphones at the bottom in the middle marked get help, you'll then have a page that let's you select your category (or else other) and then you type in the details. Someone got back to me quickly. It also let's you attach system logs etc.
0 Likes
RobP3
Journeyman
Options

Oh, alright. I didn't even think of that. Thanks, I'll try that too.

0 Likes
FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
Don't worry its called experiential learning - having a fiddle around with your new tablet to explore all the options (and even reading the manual which is accessible near the bottom of the settings options) are things that are well worth doing to learn about it.
0 Likes
RobP3
Journeyman
Options

The December update T500XXS2ATL1 didn't fix the issue, it's exacty the same as the November update T500XXU2ATK3.

Also, Samsung replied to me on the Samsung Members app and... they've barely read my message telling me to perform a factory reset. Thanks, Samsung.

Back to the October update again.

0 Likes
Members_DaZjVBC
First Poster
Options

Too late for me. I put mu tablet today to repair in waranty because this... stupid error...

RobP3
Journeyman
Options

Did you have the exact same issue? It's "nice" to see that someone else is experiencing it as well. Multiple people from Samsung in the Members apps told me to return the tablet but it clearly isn't an issue with the tablet itself. It'd be just a waste of time.

At this point I'm just waiting for the OneUI 3.0 update and see if they finally fixed it since it's a major update.

RobP3
Journeyman
Options

Good news, the issue had been fixed in the March T500XXU3AUC6 update. The release notes are generic as usual, but I've been using the tablet for a day and it's perfectly fine so it's been definitely fixed. I just applied the OTA update from the October firmware, I didn't flash the entire new firmware.

Imagine if I followed Samsung's repeated instructions to return the tablet or had no way to revert back to the last functional firmware, I would have been stuck with an unusable brick from November 2020 to March 2021, on a product released in September 2020.

I hope this thread helped solve this issue, but I highly doubt it considering there's been zero acknowledgement from a Samsung rep. They probably had to look into it after people started returning it en masse.