Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab A 2019 SM-T290 2.4 Ghz Wifi stopped working after firmware update

(Topic created on: 19-10-2020 07:30 AM)
Cely1
Student
Options

My Tab A 2019 was updated with the latest firmware last sunday 23 of august 2020. Since then all wifi networks with 2.4 GHz are not visible anymore and tablet can't connect to them, even if configured manually.

Only 5 GHz Networks are working since the update. It seems that the update disabled the 2.4 GHz radio.

Rebooting router/wifi, rebooting tablet, deleting everything, manually configure the network nothing helped.

Please fix that.

10 REPLIES 10
TheMurf
First Poster
Options
I have a similar problem. I have to stop and restart wifi after each start-up to get it to connect to my known home wifi.
0 Likes
JoburgDave
Journeyman
Options

Same problem: both 2.4 and 5 GHz worked fine on a new SM-T290, then - after the suggested T290XXU3BTG1 update - none of my 2.4GHz networks are visible, while the 5GHz is fine (but short range only). Please fix this.

twdenton
First Poster
Options

Same here... definitely needs attention

0 Likes
awesome141
Apprentice
Options

Try deleting the connections and adding them again.

0 Likes
Cely1
Student
Options

does not help.

The fact that the 2.4 GHz network is not working anymore, it is impossible to add the 2.4 GHz connection again.

The firmware destroyed my wifi on the tablet. Samsung do something!

0 Likes
JoburgDave
Journeyman
Options

Appreciate the suggestion awesome: we tried deleting the 2.4 GHz connections............ but the fact that the tablet no longer 'sees' any 2.4 GHz transmissions means you cannot find them to re-add - even after a 'reset'. Please fix this Samsung!

0 Likes
JoburgDave
Journeyman
Options

Dear Samsung - the fact that you have let this slip for the last 6 months implies either incompetence or arrogance, or both.  Back around 2000 Nokia used to respond to customer queries such as this on email; by 2007 they had stopped bothering and a short 5 years later they were broke. You are no longer the biggest in the mobile industry - keep this arrogance up and you will shortly not be the best.  You had 25% of the global cell market? - Nokia had 35. Remember you are mortal.

0 Likes
AteszFromHungary
Apprentice
Options

This issue is now fixed by the latest update for the device, I've just fixed it on mine. It's just a little bit tricky to download on Wifi-only models, since you can't connect to your regular 2.4GHz wifi (otherwise you wouldn't be reading this...). This is how:

1. Get another device, preferably a smartphone that knows 5 GHz wifi and has a data connectivity that can be shared (your wifi or a data plan). I shared my otherwise fully OK 2.4GHz wifi from my S20 FE.

2. Create a 5 GHz mobile wifi hotspot provided by that other device. You should be able to select this in the mobile hotspot settings.

3. Connect your Galaxy tablet to this 5 GHz wifi network. It should work, as with the bug, the tablet still recognizes 5 GHz wifi networks.

4. Download the latest software update on the tablet through Settings -> Software updates. The version is T290XXU3BUC1/T290XMU3BUC1, release date is 1st February 2021.

5. After applying the update and rebooting the tablet, you should be able to see and use 2.4GHz wifi networks again.

JoburgDave
Journeyman
Options

Thanks Atesz - I checked again - the tablet has automatically updated to a later version than the 1st Feb update using the short-range 5GHz frequency I now use for the tablet, but on rebooting I still see no 2.4GHz option.  I'll consider trying to roll back to the previous update on the off chance that wakes the 2.4 GHz up.

0 Likes