Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe battery drain after Android 12 update S6 Lite tablet

(Topic created on: 05-05-2022 11:00 PM)
kjw
Explorer
Options

I updated to Android 12 less than 2 weeks ago. With my normal usage, I got 3 - 4 days out of a full charge. If it sat unused, a full charged lasted over a week. Now I get less than 24 hours, even if I don't use the tablet and it's sitting with the screen off, (I NEVER use the always on display) all apps closed, and the case closed. Several times I've tried to use the tablet first thing in the morning and it's off because the battery went to 0%.

Today I went from full charge at 9am to 17% at 9pm without using the tablet until just now. It was flat last night so I charged it and unplugged it this morning after making sure it was full. It sat untouched all day. My tablet is less than a year old. This is unacceptable and has to be fixed.

14 REPLIES 14
Fantastic
Pathfinder
Options
In the samsung members app if you go to get help their is a thing for Dialnostics in their and it can tell you if your battery 🔋 needs to be replaced
0 Likes
kjw
Explorer
Options

The Diagnostics say my battery is operating just fine. Android 12 is just putting an incredible drain on it. It was not like this before the update. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Fantastic
Pathfinder
Options
Your welcome also check for any apps that may be draining your battery 🔋 too
0 Likes
bsenefeld
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. This is starting to feel like the same issue where Apple pushed an update that started shortening the battery life on older iphones.

kjw
Explorer
Options

It's not an app issue for me either. The upgrade just killed the battery life. 

Members_XliauN9
First Poster
Options

Another Tab S6 here with same issues.

Battery life is so bad now.

It also takes way longer to charge the battery.

Difference is so huge i cannot believe this was intentional, it´s like a different device now, for way worst.

Masq66
Student
Options

I have had my tab s6 lite about 6 months now and am always a bit hesitant to perform software updates but have done so. Around April I had an update and just last week another one.

The battery life is now appalling! I had the tablet turned off with 30% battery in the morning. In the evening I tried to turn it on and confused why it was not responding. After plugging in the charger cable I was shocked to see the battery was on 0%!

I left the tablet for 6 hours turned off and lost 10%. Bluetooth, location are all turned off. Its so disappointing how poor the battery performance has become considering the age of the device and that I'm not a heavy user of it.

I'd wait to see if a future update fixes this but it's very frustrating and I have the device under warranty and this seems to be a major fault and I would be inclined to return it.

Either Samsung are making their devices worse on purpose and slowing them down /killing the battery. Or alternatively, they're rolling out updates without testing them properly. Either way, both are completely unacceptable. 

James0077
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem.  Mine is only 8 months old. The battery dropped badly even without using it  

Masq66
Student
Options

Update to my previous post: I called Samsung technical support and after the usual shut down / restart suggestion and performing a factory reset, it was advised that I send the tablet off for repair. 

I received my tablet back from the repair centre and after speaking to Samsung I was informed that the battery was fine but they performed some repairs to the internal wiring - they weren't able to give any more information as the notes were abbreviated and repair centre not contactable. 

It's surprising to hear that there was issues with the wiring on the device considering it's age and imagine if there were issues, they may have existed since Day 1.  Personally I think the battery drain issue is software related. I would advise to go through settings for apps (google play services especially) and check whether they're running all the time or only when using it. Disable locational services for apps which don't need it and also settings which send your data to apps constantly (there's videos on YouTube about settings which you should disable).

I have some improvement in the battery issue - not sure whether this is solely down to the repair or the settings i've changed in the software. But if you're covered under warranty it may not hurt to get in contact with Samsung for a repair.