Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720) - Bizarre problem: can't find a case that fits. Is my tablet fake?

(Topic created on: 05-04-2021 11:34 PM)
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720). I've bought two cases for it but neither of them fit properly: the cut out for the volume and power buttons are too low down, meaning I can't access them, or the case itself pushes down on the volume keys. In the picture below, for example, you can see the hole that I should be able to press the power button through, but the actual button is further up towards the top of the tablet. There's a plastic 'rocker' for the volume keys, but, again, it's too low down for where the buttons actually are:

PXL_20210323_200527018.jpg

Comparing my device with pictures from Samsung's official site, the buttons are also higher up. The top of the power button on my device is parallel with the bottom of the camera lens, whereas here, in this photo from the tablet product page on Samsung Uk, it's about 2cm below the bottom of the camera:

(Samsung's photo)

Screenshot 2021-04-05 211323.png

(My tablet - you can see the power key is a lot closer to the top of the tablet):

PXL_20210405_201425677.jpg

I've searched but I cannot find any pictures of Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e models that match my device. According to the model number on the back of the device, and on the 'About tablet' page in the system settings, the model number is SM-T720, FFC ID A3LSMT720. These match the cases I've been buying (this one, for example), but they don't fit properly.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on with this? I bought the tablet used from eBay from a trusted seller and in all other respects it's absolutely fine, but I'm wondering if he perhaps bought it from a non-EU region where the button placement is slightly different.

Any help would be very much appreciated 😀 It's driving me mad.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

To add to this, I've just discovered that the 11-digit serial number ('S/N') on the back of the tablet case is different from the 16 digit serial number listed in the 'About tablet' menu listed in Settings. Is this a fake tablet or something? Should I be concerned? Everything else about the tablet is fine, as I mentioned.

0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

I don't understand what you mean. There are two buttons on one side of the tablet - the power and volume 'rocker'. There are no other buttons.

0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

Ok. I'm currently in live chat with Samsung. They can't seem to understand it either, although they do say that it's a genuine device, so that's something at least.

0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

It comes up as an s5e. Very odd! There's still a month of warranty left on it so Samsung are arranging for it to be collected this Friday and will have a look at it, although I don't know what they can do except replace the back of the case with the standard one, but even then the buttons on the circuit board, or whatever, inside the tablet will be in the wrong place, so why knows? Maybe it's just an earlier version of the tablet that has since been superseded by other models, but then presumable the model number would be different?

Weird! 🤔

Anyway, thanks your your replies. I will update once I find out what the score is.

0 Likes
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
You may have the 4G Version which is the T275 or you have the Wifi version which is the T270 and you may have accidentally ordered the wrong case.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
This is mine, bought direct from Samsung, definitely real.
Yours doesn't match up.

Download an app called "Devcheck" and check what CPU it has. It should say snapdragon 670, if it says anything else then it's a fake device.

20210405_232401_57176.jpg

20210405_232415_57177.jpg

20210405_232735_57178.jpg

0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

I double checked before I ordered the cases and it's the T270. Even if I did have the T275, though, the cases I bought say they would have fitted either model.

0 Likes
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Rugged-Armor-Designed-Galaxy/dp/B07RZ5CCST/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1LJS806J...
Try this case it is really good and protective and looks like the exact same button placement as your tablet.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
His device is fake, that case won't fit.
0 Likes