Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 32GB critically short of disk space

(Topic created on: 03-03-2021 10:43 PM)
Rob8133
First Poster
Options

My tablet is relatively new, but now lacks enough disk capacity to perform updates. I cannot work out what is using all the space, let alone work out how to free some up.

The popular disk usage app says my storage card is 21.9GB. Where is the other 10GB?
Of the 22GB it accounts for, it says 20GB is System data, and 1.02GB is Apps (e.g. Google 252MB, Camera, Chrome etc 70MB). I eventually reached 821MB free after uninstalling some apps, and clearing the cache/data of some apps.

The Samsung "My Files" app lets me analyse storage. It helpfully gives 10GB as System, and 20GB as "Other". What is "Other"? Images, Videos, Audio, Docs and Installation files (the things I could actually delete) now total 4.86MB.

How do I start diagnosing the issue?

I have enabled "Users" - the idea being that my son has his own account and can use the tablet for homework without having "admin" access. Does a user account somehow grab a third of the disk making it invisible to the main account?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
If your son downloads loads of homework on his user account, that may be the reason why there is not enough storage. Try clearing the cache partition on your tablet as well because that may be another reason that there is not enough storage. Another thing you can try is uninstalling any apps on your sons user account that he does not use. Hope this helped!
0 Likes
Rob8133
First Poster
Options

I tried clearing the cache partition (via Recovery boot menu) and it had no effect. It also completed instantly - the same operation on my ancient Nexus can take minutes.

Whatever my son has downloaded, I don't understand why I cannot see it with the various file managers / storage analyzers. If he had tonnes of videos or apps downloaded, why don't they show up as such?

I guess I'm used to multi-user accounts on Windows, where (as admin) I can still see the whole disk. Is it completely different on Android?

0 Likes
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
I think that may be the case, you should go to your sons user account to see any files you can't see from your user account.
0 Likes