Did you mean: 

Minecraft quality cloud video

(Topic created on: 24-08-2022 10:34 PM)
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
Hi all,

Well the title says it all really.

When taking 1080p/4K/8K video on my Samsung phone, it looks great on the device when playing it back.

Then after a short period of time, the videos/photos in the gallery get uploaded via Samsung's cloud subscription service (OneDrive) to other devices I am signed into.

All great so far right?

Then when using a different device, specifically my Samsung Tab S8 Ultra, I go to look at those same videos (which were super crisp on the original device) but on the tablet via cloud stream....well.... potato quality isn't a stretch.

Occasionally it's looks at best around 720p, but then drops to 240p, maybe less, then playback stops while it buffers, and again we are the.n back to 720p for about 2secs before it needs to buffer again, lastly the quality drops so low, I just give up.

So I'm using devices like the S21 Ultra, S22 Ultra & Tab S8 Ultra.....all premium devices from Samsung.

I'm paying a subscription fee for this cloud service.

I am on a home network, with a 1Gbps fiber connection through an ASUS GT-AXE1100 using WiFi 6E to all my mentioned devices.

So why, in 2022 when network streaming is such a huge thing, am I getting a such terrible service?

Why is the quality so ***** poor, and why am I being charged a fee for it? This is awful.

Yes, I can download the images or videos, but again, it's extremely slow.

Something is wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm very happy to jump ship to another provider if it offers a similar streamlined service in the gallery, but far better performance.

I'm extremely disappointed in this product and service from Samsung & Microsoft, I expect much better.
So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Lingard87
Pathfinder
Options
If you download the videos on the other device, are they the same ***** quality or are they the same as the original?
0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
No, if you download to the other device, the quality is the same as the original recording.

Which is good, but the streaming quality is pathetic.

The ability to stream content on the cloud, rather than having to take up storage on another is the point of having the cloud service....

But like if I stream from my Synology NAS from any corner of the world, the quality is the same as original.
0 Likes
Lingard87
Pathfinder
Options
Sounds like a transcoding issue Microsoft side, Samsung won't be able to see anything in the onedrive back end. Raise a ticket with Microsoft, I've found them to be helpful AND willing to help when I've raised a few issues with them in recent months.
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
That's a fair point regards the transcoding.

Though streaming videos directly on the OneDrive app does not show the same effect, infact videos play at full original bitrate.

Feel I'll be chasing my tail speaking with Microsoft, who will just redirect me to Samsung....rinse and repeat.
0 Likes
Lingard87
Pathfinder
Options
Ahh, didn't realise you weren't using onedrive for the playback that was experiencing issues. You're right, they will just play the blame game! If you were using the gallery for playback, you'd expect it to be optimised for the formats Samsung records in! I'd say the issue definetly lies with Samsung for this one.

The contact email on a lot of the Samsung apps is noreply.sec@samsung.com though going by the name I don't think they'd reply even if they did read it. A search on the email address did lead me to a post on eu.community.samsung.com where a user was having an issue with another app and a "Samsung Helper" claimed they would forward the info to the dev team. With a bit of luck a "Samsung Helper" might read this post and do the same, I wouldn't hold my breath though given the state of their customer service these days. Hopefully this will be resolved in one of the updates.
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
You sound as cynical as me, and you are given absolutely every reason to be given the sub-par standard of customer service in relation to Samsung with certain issues.

This has actually been an issue for quite some time, before the switch to OneDrive infact. So I assumed it would be one of those things that got resolved when things were handed over to a far more competent and mature cloud platform, maybe some initial teething problems etc when they switched over to OneDrive completely, but that ship has sailed.

I will persist with chipping away at Samsung till hopefully somebody takes notice of the issue. I'm actually surprised someone higher up the food chain hasn't already noticed this, as it's quite a glaring issue when you have multiple Samsung devices you can play your video on, and then thought "we really should look into resolving this, as it's absolutely *****". When you compare it to any other cloud platform that you can stream from, I'm putting this service from Samsung firmly at the bottom, at least when compared with let's say the top 10 cloud competitors.

I suspect the brand name Apple isn't so popular around here, but I can assure you that they have this specific issue sorted. Streams very well, without buffering as long as you are on a decent connection, and the quality is like the original recording.

Anyway, I'll keep digging :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Partita
Pathfinder
Options

Change to 1080p.

0 Likes