Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local DNS no longer being used by A7 tablet or A20e phone

(Topic created on: 24-04-2021 07:32 PM)
GBStrange
First Poster
Options

Hello. I use DAVx5 (local server contact and calendar syncing app) on an A7 tablet and A20e phone. All have worked from the day I had them (A20e for over a year). All of a sudden (on the 23/04/2021) they both stopped connecting to the synology server. Looking at the error message the reason is that the DNS didn't know were the named servers were; using the IP address solved the problem. Looking at various webpages it looks like that the tablet and phone are no longer looking at the local DNS when a host name is used; supposedly android hasn't been doing this for years, but I have had no problems till now. Everything works for my windows PC, using both ethernet and WiFi, and I have checked for firmware updates on my tablet, phone and router. 

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
S10Phil
First Poster
Options
Galaxy calendar latest update, this morning, won't allow multiple alerts! I checked permissions hadn't changed. This is something I use all the time to remind myself multiple times leading up to an event. Therefore very frustrating not to have this feature.
0 Likes
Umrhedar
First Poster
Options

Hi there, it's a little while since you asked. But today I experienced a similar issue. The "solution" is, to not use .local names. Android does not use your DNS Servers you get from your DHCP Server in the Network. Android tries IPv6 DNS and than hardcoded 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . . . I used servername.domain.test, that worked in my case. I don't know if you still have the problem, but for everyone searching. The informations which lead me to the right path where found here: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/force-android-phone-to-use-local-dns-for-local-domain-name-resolving/772...

0 Likes