Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest update causing issues with Dex taskbar on S8 Ultra

(Topic created on: 31-08-2022 05:04 PM)
grouchydad
Apprentice
Options

I just updated my S8 Ultra and now the dex taskbar is completely useless.  It only pops up for maybe 1 second and then disappears.  Icons seem to be stacked a bit in the center and I can't click on the 9 dot icon or the notifications icons at all.  This is very annoying and makes me not want to use Dex on the tablet until this is fixed.  Help!

Oh and yes, I already checked and turned off the auto-hide setting for the taskbar with no effect.

16 REPLIES 16
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Updated mine, can't say I noticed such an issue, I prefer Dex to the new 12L taskbar
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
Members_dU0P630
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same problem - the android bar is on top of the Dex bar, obscuring it. Auto-hide plus a mouse is a work around, but otherwise dex on the s8 ultra is useless to me now.

Rachel Gomez
Journeyman
Options

Fix Samsung DeX Not Working
Samsung DeX depends on several factors to work as advertised. First, let’s go check DeX compatible phones and tablets and go troubleshooting tricks.

1. Check Samsung DeX Compatibility
The latest DeX for the PC version that doesn’t require any DeX accessory is limited to the newest Samsung flagship phones and tablets only.

samsunf dex
The feature is available on Galaxy S10 and higher S-series models, Galaxy Note 10, Note 20, and Galaxy Fold series. It is not available on Galaxy tablets. The DeX for PC allows users to connect the phone wirelessly or using a USB-C cable. You don’t need a DeX Station or DeX cable.

You can also check the PC and Mac system requirements from the official Samsung support link.

2. Make Sure to Download Samsung DeX Software
Samsung DeX isn’t exactly a plug-and-play solution. You need to download the Samsung DeX software from the official website.

Once you install the app on your PC or Mac (yes, Samsung DeX is available on PC and Mac), you are all set to use the data cable and connect your phone.

3. Make Sure the Samsung DeX App Is Open
Samsung DeX closes automatically on PC when it’s not actively running. Once you connect your Samsung phone to PC, open the app and go through the installation.

Make sure you can see the app icon on the computer’s Taskbar.

4. Reconnect USB Cable
Did you manage to establish the DeX connection initially and then got errors? Chances are, the cable connection might have loosened up. You can disconnect the USB cable and try connecting your phone to the PC again.

use another cable
You can skip this trick if you are trying to establish wireless DeX from phone to PC.

5. Check Wi-Fi Connection
To wirelessly connect your Samsung phone to a PC or Mac, you need to keep both the devices on the same Wi-Fi connection. If your phone is using cellular data or connected to a different Wi-Fi connection, you won’t be able to use DeX.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

0 Likes
grouchydad
Apprentice
Options

Rachel,

None of this is relevant to my issue. Please reread my post. This problem is with Dex running ON the Tab S8 Ultra tablet. Not connecting it with a PC or Mac. 

rabi27
First Poster
Options
same problem is with my tab and it hapened after the recent update, in autohide on, icons are scrambled and without autohide the menu (launcher) button is not working, in addition to no icons for sound notification time etc on the RHS.
NJen
Student
Options

I'm also having the same issues since the update - the UI is extremely frustrating now. Came access the usual menu items on the bottom right (time / battery / brightness / notifications etc), and the 9 grid menu also doesn't work at all. 

ozzy9716
First Poster
Options

I just found a temporary fix for it.  You have to turn off  DEX. then disable app drawer and enable the gesture to pull the apps. the dots will disappear from the normal android mode.  After that enable DEX again, and the 9 dots will work.

0 Likes
grouchydad
Apprentice
Options

Can you be a bit more specific with your steps?  I can't find "app drawer" in settings and enable what gesture?  Can you please specify the correct paths under settings for disabling the 'app drawer' and enabling the 'gesture to pull the apps" ?  

Thanks!

0 Likes
Firdavs Mamatmurodov
First Poster
Options

I found a temporary fix. On tablet mode go to settings and disable taskbar, and when you open dex the tablet taskbar will no longer be overlayed on top of the dex taskbar.