Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung One UI 6.0 completely messed up both our phones and my tablet

(Topic created on: 14-02-2024 07:54 AM)
Smsng Sucks
First Poster
Options

Our A34 5Gs recently got updated to UI 6.0. Result:
- connectivity issues (Emergency calls only) requiring you going into and out of flight mode several times a day, thus missing calls while the phone is disconnected from the network (resetting network or choosing a network (any network) manually has no effect)

- battery drain: I went to sleep with 60% battery, which usually lasts me another 24h easy, after 7.5h I woke up to find that the phone had drained these 60% in 6h. A check of the battery usage shows "no apps".

On my tablet:

Apart from the annoying fact that EVERY single app now opens in a tiny window and needs to me maximized:

- Some apps can now only open in portrait mode when maximized

- Massive waste of screen real estate with the new window title bar which serves no purpose at all

- a taskbar that does not autohide even when you long press it, wasting even more screen real estate.

Screenshot_20240214_083959_Firefox.png

So overall, an incredible job Samsung. Well done, thank you for ruining both out phones and tablet. This will be the last devices we will have bought from you.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
cdav
Pioneer
Options
Right this may help. I took mine off 5g this morning. Since then it has been OK with no connectivity issues at all. Went into settings and stopped it trying to connect to 5g etc and instead clicked on 4g 2g. I know this might not help those who still want 5g but at least it means I can use phone again. It hasn't said emergency calls only at all today.

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Piper123
Maestro
Options
Hey there

Quick question..... When did you last perform a Wipe Partition Cache on your device
0 Likes
Smsng Sucks
First Poster
Options

Never. I didn't know this was a requirement for the continued functioning of Samsung devices.

0 Likes
Smsng Sucks
First Poster
Options

As a tip: since this rubbish cannot be uninstalled, downgraded, or disabled, the only solution to remove the screen real estate issues on the tablet is to

(i) factory reset and not update to UI v 6.0 or

(ii) disable DEX in the tablet and install Nova Launcher. This brings back true full screen app windows.

True full scree experience restored with Nova launcherTrue full scree experience restored with Nova launcher

For the phone issues, I will try the Cache wipe and monitor the situation. Since the network issues only occur sporadically (like once or twice per 24h) and the battery drain happened twice in the last 96h I will try to report back in a few days.

0 Likes
Piper123
Maestro
Options
It can help. It removes temporary cached files without removing data.

Recommended after a major OS update (i.e. installing One UI6).
0 Likes
Smsng Sucks
First Poster
Options

I can report that the connection issue keeps occurring, i.e., it hasn't been resolved by the cache wipe. It seems to happen more often as you move across the city or if you move into and out of areas with known WIFI networks. Then you almost certainly end up with "emergency calls only" at some point. Same happens to my wife's phone (same model) since the upgrade to One UI 6.0.

0 Likes
Helen annette
First Poster
Options

So how do i fix up my connectivity issues? I am a 70 year old woman, I don't have the knowledge to fix this. 

0 Likes
Smsng Sucks
First Poster
Options

Well it seems nobody has this knowledge at this point. We can only hope that Samsung will fix this issue with the next update to One UI v6.1 but knowing them this is a 50-50 chance at best and will certainly take several months until the update is rolled out. Although, if you google the issue there seem to be quire a few people affected by this.

We have established that neither the network reset nor a cache wipe resolve the issue long term but only allow the phone to temporarily reconnect to the network until the next disconnect.

While I could resolve the wasted screen space issue on the tablet by installing another launcher (Nova launcher) that takes over from One UI, I am not sure if that would also fix the connectivity issues if I installed the launcher on the phone. I would guess not, as the Samsung software will still handle connectivity, but I am no expert on this.

If you need a solution right away, the only thing I can think of is a factory reset (make sure all the phone's contents are backed up), or to buy a new phone (and may I add a recommendation: not a Samsung one, as we also spent about 600€ on 2 phones that are no longer fit for purpose now).

0 Likes
cdav
Pioneer
Options
I'm also having these problems since 12 Feb. Went to sleep no issues now intermittent connectivity issues saying emergency calls only. Clicking flight mode to do a soft reset not guaranteed to help either.
0 Likes
Solution
cdav
Pioneer
Options
Right this may help. I took mine off 5g this morning. Since then it has been OK with no connectivity issues at all. Went into settings and stopped it trying to connect to 5g etc and instead clicked on 4g 2g. I know this might not help those who still want 5g but at least it means I can use phone again. It hasn't said emergency calls only at all today.
0 Likes