Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements for 2023's Galaxy S23 and Tab S9 device lineup

(Topic created on: 02-03-2022 03:06 AM)
z28camaroman
Pioneer
Options

Hello!

Since I've done so in the past, I wanted to share my thoughts and ideas for improvements for Samsung flagships: specifically 2023's S23 and Tab S9 device lineup. My hope is that any and all of these improvements can happen before manufacturing the S23 and Tab S9 series begins.

• Seamless updates with A/B partition (it means after you install an OTA update, you just reset the device: no need to sit at the update screens for 10 minutes). With a greater commitment to updates, it shouldn't be a pain to actually update one's device. 
  • LPTO screens/ Variable refresh rate from 1 to 120hz  in all models (helps with battery life; they are flagships after all, it shouldn't be a S22 Ultra exclusive)
  • 256 GB base memory standard (If the micro-SD slot is not coming back, more base storage should be the norm: it costs Samsung pennies on the dollar for 256 GB memory vs 128 GB UFS)
  • Dual-tone LED flash (it somehow fell through the cracks and never got implemented despite really helping flash performance; it's a small ask since Apple uses a quad-tone LED)
  • The newer, larger and faster Qualcomm 3D sonic max ultrasonic fingerprint scanner for both the phones and tablets. The current ultrasonic sensor on the S series and optical sensor on the Tab series aren't horrible, but they could be way better and ought to be. When you're buying a "flagship", you should get the best parts. 
  • 10-bit HDR recording natively, regardless of resolution and frame rate. It shouldn't be an option in settings and not work at 60 FPS or higher. The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 and its Exynos counterpart should pack the power to process the data stream just fine. 
  • Better, more vibrant colours for all regions. It seems stupid to have the colors of expensive phones be so dull and lifeless, especially since Apple has more lively offerings themselves. I would love to see a "Candy" or "Crimson" Red, "Navy" or "Electric" Blue, "Electric" or "Forest" Green, etc. These colors would really make the devices pop. And as I said, no arbitrary region restrictions. I remember with my S9+ to get blue, you had to buy from Best Buy in the US. So dumb. 
  • For the S23 series phones, this would be really cool but not strictly necessary: an OLED screen on the rear, next to the camera array, similar to the Z Flip 4. Instead of trying to improve the front-facing selfie camera any further, why not add a small screen so people can frame shots and take selfies/group photos with the main sensors? The selfie cam would still be the go to for video calls but wouldn't need to play the resolution race or wide-angle race, especially with such a small sensor. It would also be a great standout feature for the phones compared to the competition. 
  • For the Tab S9 Ultra: Bring the bezels back so the front facing cameras fit in them without a notch or hole punch set-up. The notch looks terrible and wouldn't be solved with a hole-punch display. Worse yet, notch/hole punch in landscape mode eats at video content on screen in a way that it doesn't on phones. Since the hole-punch camera is only visible when content is zoomed in on the phones, it's fine. For the tablet, it's always there if you want to use the full screen for streaming video content, and that is just horrible. Tablets need bigger bezels than phones so you can hold them easily and not touch everything on screen. It makes no sense to have smaller bezels if the front facing cameras can't fit within them and it comes at the cost of handling. 

Now, before any other users says anything; would I love to see the headphone jack, removable storage, IR blaster, IR iris scanner, hard press home button and other legacy features return? Of course, but that's not likely to happen. It sucks but it's just the way it is and we have to move on or go to another brand like Sony. For the future of Samsung devices, though, I believe the listed items would be both appropriate and necessary for competition and the betterment of Samsung devices as a whole. 

To any Samsung employees reading, I truly hope you can share this with the hardware and software teams. I want my next devices to still be Samsung and seeing a logical and clear progression in improvements would make me very happy.

Thanks for reading!

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
I agree with storage, this was the year Apple upped their base to 128GB so it seems natural for Samsung's base to change to 256GB. The A and M series phones are coming equipped with 128GB at the top end so I think this will be almost be guarantee for next year. Also part of the US pre order promotions involved free memory upgrades from 128GB to 256GB and same for 256GB to 512GB. Headphone jack yes, LTPO 3.0 for Ultras (if it's going to be a thing that is), LTPO 2.0 for S9+ & S23+ and LTPO AMOLED for the S9 tab and S23 would be a nice way to add to each device whilst still maintaining distinguishing features between them, or you end up undermining the most premium products. A/B partition thing even though I don't know what you're talking about it sounds right 😅 so I'm with you there too. I think soon their bespoke range will expand to tablet and more smartphones so people can get the colours they like. At minimum they could just release a special colour (or two)
outside of the normal graphite colour for the tab ultra, kinda like how the iPhone 13 special colour is Sierra blue this year but for the tablet line.

The smartphones this year I thought brought some really nice colours together, some good variety too, one of the exclusive Ultra colours (silverish) is fantastic, as is the green. Though it's not a necessity in my book since there are fantastic companies out there providing a wide varieties of skins for all these products. They will always be able to deliver more unique designs to consumers and likely at a cheaper price than what Samsung would charge extra.

I'd rather have no selfie camera at all personally. I'm not the selfie type, and if it brought costs down, winner! The fingerprint sensors work great. I don't see the point in changing something that works perfectly well just because there is a new technology out to do the same thing. It would drive the cost up to do the same thing, would add no enjoyment to the usage experience. I highly doubt many people would excited or care about saving milliseconds of their time each unlock would give.

Thicker bezels? Physical home button? Iris scanner? IR blaster? Make it uglier and add features that would just drive up the cost and offer nothing in terms of convenience that the current biometrics offer. I've never used a phone with an IR blaster as far as I can remember. It's a way of using infrared to effectively turn your phone into a remote control for lots of devices right? Or does it do more? I mean yeah I'd be down as long as it isn't a costly addition.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You used to be able to send and receive documents to and from PCs and also send to printers with IR functionality too. The last devices I had with IR were back in the late nineties and early 2000s. It didn't survive because wireless and Bluetooth caught on and are more practical. Yes in theory you could control a non-smart TV with an IR equipped phone but again most TV now have network connections too.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
My most recent phone with an IR blaster is my Huawei Mate 20 Pro. It's handy to have but I would not want a price increase for it.
0 Likes
ApacheMaverick
First Poster
Options
I have an S23 Ultra and the selfie flash is far too bright! Can we get a software mod to adjust the flash brightness?
0 Likes