Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How to turn off auto straighten in notes app

(Topic created on: 02-11-2021 12:15 AM)
smugmeg
Student
Options

I really like the samsung notes app, it provides a lot of features and convenience compared to other note apps I tried, but there is one big nit pick that is really close to having me switch off of it. Whenever I have to draw anything thats small and requires precise lines, the auto straighten kicks in and ruins my flow. As an example, lets say I wanted to write out whats in the picture below. Looks simple enough, a straight down line with a little extra going to the left. The problem is, if I draw the line straight down to slow, the auto-straighten kicks in. As I start drawing the small line towards the left, instead of it being the color of the pen it is grayed out and doesn't count as me drawing. What this does is it forces me to have to lift up and put back down the pen if I want to draw the extra little line that goes to the left. I know the auto-straight feature only lets me continue drawing if I draw the line to the left long enough, but in this case its short so that won't work. Is there some way to disable this?

Capture.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
hannah33369
Pioneer
Options
Unfortunately this is a feature that cannot be disabled. The idea is that you draw a line and then hold your finger/pen at the end of that line and it will straighten the line for you. If you don't hold your finger/pen at the end, it will keep the original line. Hope this helps
0 Likes
smugmeg
Student
Options

This should be like an autospell feature. I don't understand why something that alters the output of my pen is forced on me. It basically means I can't take my time when writing something out, otherwise I get locked into this autostraight mode. Thanks for the answer, hopefully there's eventually an option to turn it off. Literally every other notes app lets me write out what I want to write, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard.

Members_yFw5jsC
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately here I am in 2023, and it is still not optional. Samsung do not seems to care about these types of complaint, and that seems to be the case with a lot of other features...

I am currently looking for a good alternative.

Semantic Simian
First Poster
Options

Most days, I am incredibly satisfied with my tablet which I bought primarily to use for reading electronic articles and books for graduate school. The ability to electronically annotate and highlight text in a pdf have wanted for years and was immediately envious of. Frequently though, assigned readings are skewed because of lazy or incompetent scanning. This should not be a reason for me to have to think about choosing a new brand the next time I buy a tablet because having the highlighter force-alignment snap to the edge of the page and not the text in 2024 is the kind of oversight is not what I would not expect from any major tech firm. The frustration is that this " feature" is one of the few simple and routine tasks I need to be able to do, and that the device is advertised as being capable of, is blocked  by such glaring contined neglect to such a simple and basic design flaw that it feels like the kind of aloof incompetance I would expect from Apple, not Samsung. I doubt that Samsung will be particularly bothered by losing the business of one customer, but this is cause for me to actively advise my friends and colleagues to have their tablet needs met by competitors. Taking three years to even acknowledge a complaint is just absurd and is frankly, unacceptable. Apple would have at least blamed the users by now.

0 Likes