Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does expandable memory work?

(Topic created on: 02-01-2023 11:29 PM)
sdust
Journeyman
Options

I am just trying to understand the concept of expandable memory better. A few years ago I had bought a Samsung Galaxy tab for my parents, and it has low memory (I think 16 GB), seemed okay at that time but clearly fell short later. I tried to add an extra SD card via a slot that was available in the tab, but I could not make that card work for photos. Also, apps such as WhatsApp also didn't work with this card. They needed in-built memory only. Now I am considering buying a new tab, and worried about this problem. Maybe the concept has evolved further and I can easily expand the memory by inserting an external card? Not sure. Can someone explain it in more detail? Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
Can't give you an in depth explanation of SD cards but I know certain apps cannot be moved to external memory. I think WhatsApp is one of them. That's down to the developer unfortunately. I've never had a problem with photos being stored on SD cards so unsure why you cannot. There is a setting via the camera app to have photos stored on your SD card, have you enabled that?
sdust
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in getting back.

1. If some of the apps cannot be moved to the expanded memory, then it is kind of misleading advertisement that memory can be expanded, right? Or is "expanded" and "external" memory separate concepts?

2. I don't have access to that old Samsung tab at the moment, I will be visiting my parents soon. If Photos can indeed be redirected to the SD card, that's great. I guess I need to try that again. If you have any tips on how to do it, much appreciated.

0 Likes
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
External and expanded memory are basically the same thing when talking about SD cards, so don't worry about that. Your internal memory is set at 16Gb and cannot be expanded. The fact that some apps can be moved to the SD card and some can only reside on Internal memory is purely down to the developer of the app and nothing to do with your tablet manufacturer.

Without knowing your exact tablet model I can only go off my settings (Tab 8 ultra). Open the camera app...tap settings (cog wheel)...tap storage location...choose your SD card.

Going forward there will be other apps, such as web browers, that will have the option of where to store downloads (ie photos, files etc). You'll need to search those apps settings for the relevant options. Any problems then please post back here.
0 Likes