Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S5e not using correct the correct physical keyboard layout

(Topic created on: 06-02-2022 06:27 PM)
Marlon-Kirkham
Journeyman
Options

Hello, has anyone had this issue at all please? I am connecting a Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard to my S5e tablet but the tablet refuses to use the correct keyboard layout!! So when I try to use the keyboard and type an email address using the English UK Qwerty settings of the physical keyboard on my tablet, this happens:

mickey.mouse"disney.com the @ sign doesn't work! I have to use the number 2 button to make it work. Equally, if I try to put something into quotes like @Hickory dickory dock@ it uses the incorrect button again!! Very frustrating.

Now, before anyone thinks to themselves, that's such a simple fix, please read on.

I have tried everything and been researching this issue for the past 48 hours! I've tried contacting logitech to get support, I have read the manuals online, I have tried every normal solution to check the physical keyboard settings, the correct language settings, I have tried in dex mode, I have restarted the tablet, I have reset the keyboard, I have tried all of the key combinations to switch languages etc. etc. to no avail! The tablet just doesn't accept the use of the correct keyboard layout.

Now for the best bit.

I connected the same keyboard to my Galaxy A70 mobile phone, running exactly the the same Android 11 operating system and the same One UI version 3.1 and cross checked every single setting between the phone and the tablet and guess what? IT WORKS ON THE PHONE!!!

This clearly indicates that the keyboard is absolutely fine and is working exactly as it should on an Android device however, the Samsung Galaxy S5e does not accept those settings!!

Before I contact Samsung directly to find out what the h*ll is going on, does anyone have a similar or same issue between their devices? or a Samsung tablet that just won't use the correct physical keyboard settings?

Thank you

Marlon

P.S - I have approximately 20 years IT troubleshooting and support experience. I think that's why this is driving me a bit crazy.... I've tried so many things to resolve it without success...

11 REPLIES 11
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
Have you tried Going
Settings
General management
At the top select language
And select
Samsung keyboard settings
chy2010love
Apprentice
Options
ye try his idea
chy2010love
Apprentice
Options
it works
0 Likes
Marlon-Kirkham
Journeyman
Options
Yes, all settings are correct. English UK (qwerty). The odd thing is, my wife has the same S5e tablet. The keyboard is working correctly on her tablet!!! So it must be an issue specifically with my tablet. Next steps I'm thinking if taking are a) resetting all of the keyboard settings and b) carrying out a soft reset of the tablet. I really do not want to have to do a full reset cos that would be a real pain...
0 Likes
Marlon-Kirkham
Journeyman
Options
😄 thanks for that!
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It really doesn't make sense, if you have any other English language pack installed than United Kingdom, try removing them. That may force it to work properly. My cheapo Chinese Bluetooth KB from Amazon behaves okay. The layout is US English on the keycaps so I stuck UK specific vinyls over the usual keys to convert it to UK English and it reacts like one with the UK English set on the tablet.
Marlon-Kirkham
Journeyman
Options
Yes I know, it's weird....and last night it got weirder still.

I removed all language packs, I selected spanish because I am able to speak and understand it. I reset the samsung keyboard.
I uninstalled samsung keyboard by uninstalling all updates.
I carried out a soft reset
I ran the tablet in safe mode.
I ran the application fix program from the boot menu in the reset menu.
I reset the keyboard.

None of the above made any difference.

In desperation and running out of ideas and options, I stared at my tablet for at least 15 minutes trying to process all of this 😆 and then I remembered that I have several profiles setup. A guest, my wife and my daughter. So I logged in individually to all of these separate profiles.

The keyboard WORKS AS IT SHOULD on all of the other profiles!!! W.T.F?

So it's a profile issue? I am the owner of the tablet and have full admin rights on the device, yet it's my +×÷=/€%$ing profile that has the problem?

Perplexing. I think my only option is a full hard reset unless someone can tell me and show me how to force a new copy of my profile to be installed.

🤔 💭 🤔 💭 🤔
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
I had the exact same thing a while ago and also first thought it was my Bluetooth keyboard, checked the settings and everything was set to UK qwerty etc

From memory, I set both the language and keyboard to English (United States), the reason because the layout the keyboard was using (@ instead of ") was american and then changed it back to English (UK) and it resolved it.
Marlon-Kirkham
Journeyman
Options
Will try, thank you 😊
0 Likes