Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certificates and a Private Key

(Topic created on: 15-05-2020 05:03 PM)
christophertout
First Poster
Options

I have a new Galaxy tablet s6 and wish to set up a VPN.  This requires a certificate.  I have downloaded the certificate but when I try to install it I am told that a Private Key is necessary.  I cannot find any information on how to set up or use a private key.  I hope someone can advise please?  Many thanks.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @christophertout ,

I have found this post: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-is-a-vpn-and-how-do-i-add-one-to-my-device/ that might help you. Are you following the steps listed there? If so, can you tell me what VPN are you trying to set so I can have a closer look at this?

0 Likes
christophertout
First Poster
Options

Hi TessM,

Thank you very much and yes all those steps work fine.  This is the University of Cambridge VPN and it needs a certificate to be downloaded and installed.  The certificate is then available at the time of setting up the VPN.  I have downloaded the certificate and it is clearly recognised by the device.  It should be possible to install it simply by clicking on the filname.  However that just fleetingly produces the message, "Private key required to install a certificate" and it is not installed.  So I think my problem is not to do with setting up the VPN but rather with setting up a private key so that I can install the certificate.  Many thanks again for any advice on this, Christopher.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

That is fine @christophertout , have you tried to reach the University to see if they are able to provide you with this?

0 Likes
christophertout
First Poster
Options

I have indeed but they do not seem to have any idea on this either at least for now.  Tanks again, Christopher

0 Likes