Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 not received any updates since May 2018

(Topic created on: 21-01-2022 10:04 AM)
Khalayibaaz
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I received my brand new phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) as a gift in late 2018 which had been purchased from eBay.

To date (21-Jan-2022), the phone has not received any updates.

When clicking on Download Updates Manually > Software Update from Settings, I get the following message:

20220121_145830.jpgEveryone else around me have been receiving their updates regularly on their S8 and S9 but I am still stuck with the update from May 2018.

Please could you help?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Hi, If you have access to a PC try Smart Switch.

antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Try using Smart Switch on a PC with the phone connected via USB. As it came from eBay it may not have the right firmware for your country. The wrong regional firmware prevents OTA updates so you have to do it manually via smart switch.
Badge1981
First Poster
Options
If smart switch doesn't work then try downloading manually via sammobile firmware site. You should at least have security patches.
Khalayibaaz
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I downloaded the Smart Switch program on someone's laptop, connected the phone and it said a large update of nearly 4GB was available.

After clicking on "Update", it starts preparing the file to be downloaded (quite fast). However, when it reaches 100%, it seems to be stuck there and doesn't go any further. There was no error message nor there was any other activity following this.

20220124_110131.jpg

Tried this a few times over a few hours and it was same every time. It was even left at this stage for 3 hours with no joy.

Also, uninstalled the Smart Switch program and tried it with an older version of Smart Switch but it was the same result.

Please can you advise.

Thanks.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Khalayibaaz ,

is the phone having at least 50% battery and enough free space (storage) when you attempt to do this? 

Khalayibaaz
Apprentice
Options

@TessM wrote:

Hi @Khalayibaaz ,

is the phone having at least 50% battery and enough free space (storage) when you attempt to do this? 

Hi TessM,

Yes, the phone had nearly 20GB of free space and battery was almost full.

I must also add though, that over the last 3-4 months, when phone battery reaches 15%, it starts to drain very very quickly and sometimes, the phone just shuts down even if it still shows 6%-7% battery life remaining.. Normally, I can mitigate this problem by going into Device Maintenance > Battery > Optimise Now.

Screenshot_20220124-231045_Device maintenance.jpg

0 Likes