Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Upgrading from Galaxy S7 to Galaxy S21

(Topic created on: 25-02-2021 11:06 AM)
Trubmij
Explorer
Options

Just received my new Galaxy S21.  The only USB cable supplied seems to be USB C to USB C.

I am upgrading from my Samsung Galaxy S7 but the cable supplied with the S21 wont fit into the S7 so I cant transfer data etc using the USB cable so will have to use WiFi - no problem.

However, the S21 doesn't come with a wall charger (I knew that) but my existing Samsung chargers wont fit into the S21 as the chargers cables have a different size USB socket.

What is best way of proceeding?  Can I simply get a cable that goes from existing wall charger to new S21 please?  If so, what is the spec of each end?

Go to solution
16 REPLIES 16
DannyT
Options

Just as a heads up, and a bit more info on why Samsung don't include the charger can be found here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/why-does-samsung-not-include-a-charger-in-the-box/ 

Welcome to the Community!

Tay123
First Poster
Options

I had upgraded to the S21 yesterday because my old s9+ that I had for 3 years (since Nov 18,2018) I accidentally washed in the washer on Dec 23, 2021. I wanted to buy this phone but the price is too high so I thought I'd get a samsung gallon A42 but Verizon had a deal to trade in my s9+ even though it's water damage for $440 and get the regular s21 (not s1+) so I decided I wanted this phone because I had no issues with the s9+ except the battery got old and so I replaced the battery earlier this year. So I noticed this phone only has a cable type c to type c and is for the mac book and used to transfer stuff. Well I don't have a Mac book so I just using the wireless charger that I had with my s9+ and the wall charger that the s9+ came with (saved some money). I think it's ridiculous that Apple and Samsung just send phones without the charger.

I always break charger cables from not inserting correctly every now and then so when phones come with chargers that is nice so it will work.

But at least I want to thank samsung for at least making the s1's Charging port a USB type C the exact same charging method as the s9+ so I don't need to go out and buy a charger again like going from samsung USB type c to apples lighting charger. It saved me money

0 Likes
JohnWatson1
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung 8 and have just received my brandnew Samsung S21 Galaxy and cannot charge it! 

I have loads of charging ports, and cords for samsung 8 and 9 phones, 

I contacted the chat customer support help on the Samsung site, who referred me to a technical expert.  They told me that they would transfer me to another team who could help .  Wait time 17 HOURS !!  Awful customer service.  I have almost all samsung products but this is really annoying me.  

I read the moderators link about why they don't provide chargers but this seems rubbish as I still (I think) have to buy a new cable. 

Why are they providing just USB C to USB C cables?   

TessM
Mastermind
Options

I do understand how frustrating this may be for you @JohnWatson1 . USB-C are superior to USBs. They feature a new, smaller connector shape that's reversible so it's easier to plug in. USB-C cables can also carry significantly more power, so they can be used to charge larger devices. They also offer up to double the transfer speed of USB 3 at 10 Gbps, among other improvements. 

0 Likes
JohnWatson1
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tess, thank you for the concern but this is a massive brand fail. Do SAMSUNG understand? I get a nice new shiny phone which I can't switch on because I cannot charge it without buying a  charger. All my existing cables and chargers are useless (not good for the environment).  

Plus why would SAMSUNG provide a non standard configuration and the  send me a phone without a plug? I just have to pay to buy another one.

I will likely send this phone back and change brands after being with SAMSUNG for years. This is utter rubbish.

0 Likes
Tay123
First Poster
Options

I agree. I don’t understand stand why they didn’t include a charter. However my brother had also gotten a iPhone (don’t know if it’s the 10 or 11) and it didn’t come with a charger either. What you have to understand is some phone manufacturers now days don’t include chargers anymore. I have had a Samsung galaxy s9+ so I don’t need to buy another charger. If you shop on Amazon there way cheaper than buying from your carrier. I believe if you buy a newer phone the chance of getting a charger can be difficult. I love my s21. If I didn’t have a charger I would just buy one. I hope you can get a new phone with a charger but apple and Samsung doesn’t include the chargers anymore. I don’t know why but I assume because they believe customers would have the cables. Wish you good luck! Sorry you aren’t happy with your s21

0 Likes
Tay123
First Poster
Options

In November 2018 I brought a samsung galaxy s9+ from Verizon.

I kept that phone until December 31,2021.

I traded that phone for the Galaxy S21.

Both galaxy s9+ and s21 series uses the same charger cables.

I use the wireless charger that I brought for the s9+ and it works with the s21.

The USB c wall charger the s9+ came with works with the s21. 

If you have or had the s9 and the charger you used for the s9 should work with the s21 if it's still in good condition.

Everyone is upset that samsung didn't include the charger and I agree but no one should be angry that they believe they need to buy a charger for the s21 and you can just use the charger that the s9 came with.

Just try to use the s9 charger and it will work (unless the charger is damaged than that can be an issue.

Good luck

0 Likes