Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update process

(Topic created on: 16-02-2021 05:15 PM)
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
Hi, I have seen quite a few posts about an available update (a few updates this month even) but my device is still showing last updated 29th Jan.

I know different carriers seem to add additional delays, but it seems odd that I've not had any updates yet. Once I hit 6 months I can get EE to unlock the phone, would that free me of carrier delays to updates?

Sorry, just coming back over to android after a long time so the update side of things is new to me. Thanks 
23 REPLIES 23
TyeDale
Pioneer
Options
don't think your able to unlock a phone which is still in contract ??
0 Likes
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
I didn't think so either, but apparently it costs £8.99 and has to be after 6 months (EE)
Skybiz
Pathfinder
Options
I haven't had any updates at all. I am on Three and they are notoriously slow 🐌 when it comes to updates.
Skybiz
Pathfinder
Options
There are 2 updates out at the moment, AUB3 for Buds and AUB6 for additional bug fixes. Why can't we get them direct from Samsung?
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
yeah I don't really understand the carrier involvement, iOS manages to be updated right away regardless of carrier....a slightly phased rollout by region I would understand. it's the security patch dates that are concerning
Skybiz
Pathfinder
Options
Just been checking on the updates and it seems that everyone in America has had the updates. The first update AUB3 caused a battery drain problem. The second update helps to solve the battery drain problem as well as other additional bug fixes. So how come we haven't had these updates and February's security patch yet!
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I have received both of those updates, AUB6 for my phone and AUB3 for my Buds Pro. The first February update for the phone, AUB3, has been withdrawn and replaced by AUB6 bugfix and camera update.

The updates are released depending on your device's CSC, (Consumer Software Customization), code. 

Those running devices with non-carrier branded, stock Samsung firmware, have the update rolled out to them first, usually.

Carrier firmware has to be certified by the carriers concerned before it can be released by Samsung and it can take from a few days to a couple of weeks normally before that happens, depending on the carrier.

The CSC codes for the U.K. are...

BTU = stock unbranded Samsung

EVR = EE network

VOD = Vodafone network

O2U = O2 network

H3G = Three network

To locate your devices CSC code, go to...

Settings > About phone > Software information > Service provider software version... here it will show your CSC code (see screenshot)

v5ZRnSB.png

[EDIT] Have just checked the Samsung servers and to-date, (17.12hrs UTC, 16th Feb:), only the unbranded firmware for CSC code BTU has been released. The same applies to countries worldwide. no carrier branded releases yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Carrier firmware takes a little longer as it needs to have the carrier bloatware added, settings amended and be certified by the carrier.

Non carrier branded, stock Samsung firmware does not need to go through this process.

This is why when there was  beta test releases for the Samsung Galaxy S20 models, only stock Samsung CSC codes were eligible as it would take far too long to include carrier branded phones.

My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

U.S.A. country minority variants are not on the same firmware and updates as the global Exynos model since they have a Snapdragon chip. 

Currently, the latest U.S.A. firmwares are for the older January 2021 build, AUAG, and are nearly a month behind us because of their carriers.