Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System updates over mobile data?

(Topic created on: 20-11-2023 08:15 PM)
Walter Jones
First Poster
Options

Hello, I have an S21 FE, and I can't seem to figure out how to download system updates over mobile data. If this is something that is arbitrarily locked down, and I can't change a setting to allow it, that would be a deal breaker for me, and I will have to be more careful next time I buy a phone (as in not get another Samsung).

This is the most expensive phone I have ever bought, and it also seems to be the most locked down. I couldn't even switch to 4G only when in areas where 5G coverage is slow and unreliable. Luckily I found a third party app that allowed me to solve that issue, but it is kind of pathetic that I would have to do such a thing for such a simple setting that has been present on every android phone I've ever used. 

So now I am having another issue of the software being excessively locked down. I have unlimited, unthrottled data, and I don't want to have to be tethered to Wifi for any reason at all. Please help me. 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
AlexLdn
Voyager
Options
You should be able to download the update via mobile network. There is no switch on/off for that so I think if you click on download it will tell you that you are using mobile network and ask you if you want to carry on Screenshot_20231120_202739_Settings.jpg
0 Likes
AlexLdn
Voyager
Options
This is for switching to 4g. I don't see why you don't have those option, unless you bought it from carrer and they removed it. Screenshot_20231120_203031_Call settings.jpg
0 Likes
Piper123
Maestro
Options
There is an option available to auto download over wi-fi the security and OS updates.

There isn't an option to turn off security and OS updates over mobile network such as 4g or 5g other than when you have an update available, you can choose when to download it and thus over which type of network.
0 Likes
Walter Jones
First Poster
Options

When I try to update it, i get a window that pops up stating "Couldn't download update - Connect to a Wi-Fi network to continue downloading the update" Then I have the option to click "OK" which closes the window and does nothing else, or I can click on "Wi-Fi settings". I have a factory unlocked device. 

0 Likes
Walter Jones
First Poster
Options

Yeah, I don't have that on my device, as I stated, as all other android devices I've owned have. I had to use a third party app to access this. Factory unlocked device. 

0 Likes
Walter Jones
First Poster
Options

Is that an S21 FE you are using?

0 Likes
Walter Jones
First Poster
Options

I can't do that on my factory unlocked S21 FE. Its Wi-Fi or nothing, apparently. 

0 Likes
Waleybean
First Poster
Options
I've suddenly got the same problem so I think this is a samsung bug as my last software update was Oct on the same phone, which it did via data
0 Likes
AlexLdn
Voyager
Options
S21 +
0 Likes