Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software update not available on data

(Topic created on: 28-12-2021 10:45 AM)
AlinPostelnicu
Explorer
Options
Just checked with my data operator and they confirmed they don't limit the software update over data. So wtf is going on? Paid big money for an "ultra"  smartphone and an unlimited data contract hoping this is it and then I get stuck every month on this bullshit "download over WiFi only". Has anyone any idea why this is happening? Is it exclusive to this model?
24 REPLIES 24
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
The android 12 update
Has been put on hold For moment
Due to a few issues
Hopefully it won't be to long
Till the fix is rolled out

For more info See link below

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/samsung-halts-galaxy-s21-one-ui-4-0-update/td-...
0 Likes
AlinPostelnicu
Explorer
Options
That's not what I'm asking though... I've got the latest Android update. I'm talking about monthly security update and updates in general that are not allowed over data but only through WiFi. That's what's annoying.
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

@xSteveuk

That link refers to the old BUL6 update from the 17th December that was pulled and replaced by the new BULC update that is being rolled out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
This happens with all android phones. It's really annoying that you have to update over WiFi.
Not everyone has WiFi and now use mobile for their internet using mobile data especially as operators are pushing 5g and what you can do with it.
Updates should be allowed over mobile data if the end user wishes to use it.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Have to say, mine will download regardless of whether on WiFi or mobile data.

Suggest you turn off auto update via wi-fi in settings, updates to see if that resolves it?

Out of interest, do you have Data Saver turned on in settings at all?
Settings, connections, data
AlinPostelnicu
Explorer
Options
Already done it but its shown in grey... Don't know but it's annoying AF 😅
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
On the Data Screen (settings, connections, data) there should be an option for Data Saver and ideally immediately underneath it will say Off?

Hopefully that is what you're seeing?

I do recall when first setting up the S21 Ultra and getting the first update I got a pop up saying I was on mobile data and I selected ok .
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I've looked back and confirm that by going to
Settings
Updates
And turning off Auto Update over WiFi, that should resolve your issue as long as your carrier supports it (I note you've checked and confirmed that but I mention it for others reading in future)
AlinPostelnicu
Explorer
Options
Thanks but it's not the carrier. I've got 6 other phones and I've switching the SIM on each of them and the software was updating just fine over data on them. Thanks anyways.