Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Overheating even after factory reset without any app installed or data transfer- Australia

(Topic created on: 17-02-2021 10:47 PM)
volksguy
Journeyman
Options

I pre-ordered S21 Ultra  and got my phone on 22.01.2021. I transferred all data from my old Samsung device through SmartSwitch. The new S21 Ultra gets overheated after few minutes of usage which is not same in the case of my S10+. S21 Ultra camera app does not run if device is overheated. Even after couple of factory resets and without any installed app in the device, S21 Ultra camera app made this device overheated after few minutes of recorded video. If the device temperature gets over 42 degree celsius, camera slow motion does not work properly. I tried to apply all the tips given by Samsung online support on this devices to resolve this problem but at last it did not get resolved even after factory reset. I just gave my device to Samsung care center for repair/replacement. Please share your experience if you have this type issue with your S21 Ultra.

36 REPLIES 36
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
My phone got so hot earlier whilst using Lightroom I was sure it was going to be fried I have never in my life felt heat radiating from a phone like a heater. I must not have realised for a while because I got the new S21 pen so I wasn't actually touching the screen. The hottest place was directly adjacent to the camera bump on the top left if looking at the phone front on or the top right if looking from the back. I was so sure the software update solved it. Just there again it got very hot when not using an intensive app. I was just doodling with the s pen then I noticed again the screen was very hot.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
I downloaded an app which apparently tells what temperature your battery and CPU is but how do they know for a start? I downloaded the app after the first event so I couldn't tell you what it would have been but my phone was definitely way above 40ish degrees to the touch. It felt like it was 60+ degrees Celcius.
0 Likes
mrdaveyy
First Poster
Options
Are you using an official Samsung charger for your phone :)?
0 Likes
volksguy
Journeyman
Options

Yes. I bought new charger and cable from Samsung. Here is the link: https://www.samsung.com/au/mobile-accessories/ep-ta845-ep-ta845xwegau/

0 Likes
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
I gave up on the S21 ultra uk 512g after 5 days received phone 28th January sent back 2nd February for a full refund ....like in other posts I've replied to I've never seen a phone get so hot in my life before it got so hot it must of damaged the inside.. I mean fry an egg on it hot 🔥 and only with light use
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
There's posts on here about Smart Switch data transfer creating heat problems. It seems setting up the device manually prevents the overheating issue.
0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
I had the same concerns and came to this forum for help. it took me ages to find out why my phone was overheating n camera problems etc oh and battery life. After about a week now it's all good. nothing wrong with the phone to be honest. hardware all good. what I learnt is the way I set up my phone from my old phone. what I had to do is do a factory reset and start again.

do not use samsung switch to transfer everything.

make a list of all the apps you need on your new phone.
use your samsung cloud and Google account to transfer the essentials only. ie contacts, messages, calendar,
don't transfer any settings, home settings etc. and definitely don't transfer any apps. that's the biggest problem. basically some of the apps were conflicting with the new One UI / Android. what you have to do is reinstall all your apps directly from Google playstore or Galaxy store and install it from there. you should much better experience after that.

also note: if you can avoid using Chrome, then it is even better because chrome using more battery for some reason. but install it if u have to. its not that bad.

while doing all this, the phone can heat up a little but that's normal cos it's installing n setting up ur phone all at once. it's fine. Once everything settles, start using your phone as normal and let the phone learn how u use ut phone. give it about 5 days. it will heat up a little perhaps but that's fine. but if its really hot then contact samsung. also wipe cache partition after factory reset. look on YouTube on how to. hope this helps.
volksguy
Journeyman
Options

At first, I transferred old data and settings from my old S10+ and faced this overheating problem. Then after factory reset, again transferred old data without settings, still overheating issue was there. Then again after factory reset, I installed manually all the apps and transferred only photos and videos, over heating was still a problem. After 4th time of factory reset, I did not install any apps other than temperature reading app, I did not sync any accounts. I used only camera app and found after certain time of video recording can make this device over heated and stops camera app to work. Thus I found that this device has issues. I had to return this device to Samsung care center to repair under warranty. I am hoping this is not common case for everyone. 

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
Well...my phone was an update from EE and this is actually my 3rd phone ( I had 2 replacements) because I thought it was a fault. I had the exact same problem with all 3 phones until I changed the way I transfered my stuff from old phone.

now, I do still find that when I use the camera, the phone heats up still but not as much. around 42°/43°c. which is apparently normal. I did 3 tests with using the different camera settings and lens for 10-16mins. even used portrait mode. before, it used to heat up to 50°c within 3-5mins and then eventually a warning message will pop up and stop the camera app. but I haven't had this issue since I changed my way of transferring. I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet as its not available as I'm on EE but I think it'll improve things even more
0 Likes