Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove an app from a folder

(Topic created on: 4 weeks ago)
Members_m8YVTyN
First Poster
Options

How do I remove an app from a folder and return it to the App Drawer on my Galaxy S21 5G?  I have tried holding and moving the app up out of the folder but that only puts the app onto the Home screen and not in the App Drawer.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Are you trying to remove the app from a folder in your app drawer or homescreen. If app drawer then there are certain folders in there like Google, Samsung that won't allow you to simply remove the apps in them. My first screenshot shows a folder and its apps on my homescreen. As you can see the remove option is available. However, the second screenshot shows a folder (Google) and its apps off my app drawer. As you can see the apps cannot be removed from the folder and the remove option is not available. The only thing you can do here is delete the folder from the app drawer. These folders are pre installed when you set up your device. Subsequent folders that YOU create in the app drawer, will have the remove option for individual apps. I always create my folders on the homescreen and never the app drawer. I find it messy and unnecessary.1715522031527_1715522031517_0.jpg1715522319428_1715522319424_0.jpg

View solution in context

6 REPLIES 6
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Long press on the app and tap remove
0 Likes
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
Hold it and drag it to the empty spaces between the rows of apps as shown in the image1715516726062.jpg
0 Likes
Members_m8YVTyN
First Poster
Options

Thanks for your reply however all that does is allows me to add the app to the home screen, Uninstall the app, select it or open widgets.  There is nothing that allows me to move the app out of the folder back to the app drawer.  I can achieve the result by deleting the folder completely but that seems like a heavy way just to move an app.

0 Likes
Members_m8YVTyN
First Poster
Options

Thanks for your response however when I open the folder it does not open in app drawer so I cannot drag the app to an empty space between the rows of apps.  I think the only way is to delete the folder but this seems like a cumbersome way of moving a single app out of a folder.  I have dleted the folder now and all the apps are back in the app drawer.  Now I have to rebuild the folder with out the app that I wanted removed.  

0 Likes
Members_m8YVTyN
First Poster
Options

I have now simply deleted the folder.  This puts all the apps in that folder back into the app drawer.  However I now have to recreate the folder and return all the apps back into the new folder except the one I wanted to remove.  This is a cumbersome way of doing it but at least it worked.  Surely there is a better way of simply removing an app from a folder without hassle.

0 Likes
Solution
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Are you trying to remove the app from a folder in your app drawer or homescreen. If app drawer then there are certain folders in there like Google, Samsung that won't allow you to simply remove the apps in them. My first screenshot shows a folder and its apps on my homescreen. As you can see the remove option is available. However, the second screenshot shows a folder (Google) and its apps off my app drawer. As you can see the apps cannot be removed from the folder and the remove option is not available. The only thing you can do here is delete the folder from the app drawer. These folders are pre installed when you set up your device. Subsequent folders that YOU create in the app drawer, will have the remove option for individual apps. I always create my folders on the homescreen and never the app drawer. I find it messy and unnecessary.1715522031527_1715522031517_0.jpg1715522319428_1715522319424_0.jpg