Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR support removed after update to One UI 4

(Topic created on: 21-02-2022 12:26 PM)
StuartLev
Apprentice
Options
I am extremely frustrated and angry that I can no longer use my gear VR with the S10+ having updated to One UI 4.  I saw no clear warning that this would happen, including in the Notices section on the Samsung Members app, and was being nagged daily by the phone notification to update the software.

I spent a lot of money on the Gear VR and also on content to use with it. As far as I can tell it's now just wasted as there's no way to roll back to a previous firmware (I don't want to use any unoffical ROM or end up having to lose all of my data).

This is totally unacceptable behaviour from Samsung. This change should have been flagged MUCH more clearly and an option not up upgrade software provided. I have been a loyal Samsung customer over the last decade, owning S7, S8, S10+, S21 Ultra, so this feels like a kick in the teeth.

Support via Live Chat told me there's nothing they can do and I need to post here for Samsung's developers to respond...

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
kgbthatsme
Student
Options

Agreed. I simply reinstalled the removed apps (Facebook, Messenger) and continued to dismiss the daily warnings. Eventually, the pop-ups stopped coming, and it was business as usual.

0 Likes
Members_MAa7uYm
First Poster
Options

Aymen

0 Likes
Tonytiger64
Student
Options
I did the same, but luckily had my old S7edge to hand and now use that purely for GearVR. I downloadedall the games possible including Rush and Deadalus (2 incredible games) which both have no need for Internet connection. Also, never sign out of Oculus VR because very soon, everything is being taken down. Many games have been removed from the server already.
0 Likes
Spoon32
First Poster
Options

I was unaware of this change and just found out about it after updating my s10 (secondary phone).

I only allowed the update as it's stepping in for my primary phone, an S21 ultra which was damaged. The S21 is too big for the headset, so having the up to date software on that phone did not alert me to the removal of GearVR support.

I played games (which I have paid for) now and then on the S10 with the GearVR headset.

After paying something like €130 for this headset I'm pretty insulted by it being bricked a few years later!!!!

Did anyone here get anywhere by complaining to Samsung, or in terms of regaining vr capability? I believe I will have to root the phone and roll back android?

0 Likes
chees3doff
First Poster
Options
I have just purchased a reconditioned s10 to use my gear vr I have been unable to use since my port in my s9 broke..I have now pointlessly brought this s10 as I could've afforded a much newer model but got it specifically for the gear as it said online it was supported yet it is not,is this not false advertising, I am absolutely livid,I will never buy Samsung again what a load of rubbish. Sony would never stop u playing fifa if they stopped ea from making games for their Console
0 Likes
Dirtrot
First Poster
Options

Im savy enough to be able to downdgrade my s10 to a version of andriod where I can get the gear vr to work but after you upgraded the bootloader I can no longer go back.....would be a nice tip of the cap to us to make it so we could atleast go back.....not like I want the bootloader unlocked...just wanto to downgrade.....this should be under the rigjht to repair laws.....  

0 Likes