Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Performance on Exynos S21 Ultra is waaayyy slower than an S10+ or S20+

(Topic created on: 27-02-2021 11:48 PM)
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

Hi

Has anybody else noticed that the S21 Ultra doesn't seem to deliver consistent and reliable 4G speeds, particularly in terms of 4G uploading. I've done a comparison between my S21 Ultra and a S10+ both on the same network (EE) and the results are shocking.

The S21 Ultra simply doesn't consistently reach the same levels and upload is extremely weak for me - seems to take the phone a number of second to "wake up" and send any data over 4G.

WiFi is fine but the 4G speeds are pushing me to return the phone. 

Have others noticed the same issue?

Interestingly, Samsung seem curious, which makes me think that there's been other similar reports. It would be strange if everything else works ok to believe this is a fault with the phone.

Thanks.
400139200926_150530.jpg
80 REPLIES 80
tzontchev
Journeyman
Options

I have the same problem. 

My phone is the international version  SM-G988B DS and I am in Canada. I am on the AUB9 update and have very slow uploads. Even when I am using Viber and Whatsapp and I am driving very often the person on the other side cannot hear me all the time. It is cutting off frequently. I guess it is due to the slow upload.  

Sometimes I get 265 down and 1.8 up.  I hope Samsung will fix this soon.

Any help will be appreciated. 

ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra dual SIM global model with Exynos chipset and modem/baseband, SM-G998B, is not marketed or intended for use in Canada or the U.S.A. 

The Samsung country minority variant of the Galaxy S21 Ultra for Canada is the Snapdragon chipset and modem/baseband, SM-G998W.

Because Canada and the U.S.A. use different network bands to most other countries, your global model will only be partially compatible with those networks. 

This link contains a list of the network bands that the global, SM-G998B, model is using...

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/cac454dc

This link contains the bands that the popular Canadian carriers use...

https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/what-are-the-cellular-frequencies-of-cell-phone-carriers-in-usa-...

Depending on your Canadian carrier and location, you may experience difficulty in compatibility and connection to 4G/LTE and 5G networks.

Since the modem/baseband is built in to the relevant chipsets, there is no way to change them and you cannot install Snapdragon firmware on an Exynos phone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
0 Likes
tzontchev
Journeyman
Options

Hi Ironass

Thank you very much for your fast and prompt replay, but the information you are giving me is not helping. 

My carrier (Telus) has all the bands and frequency that I need with SM-G998B to work properly on 3G and 4G/LTE. The only missing one is 4G B29. And this is not a problem, because in my area Telus is not using a lot B29. When I use my other phone that connects well on 4G and has no problem with the upload it does not connect on B29 and I have problems with the upload with S21 on the same location.  If there is a problem with the compatibility of bands, I will have problems with download and connectivities. I have problems only with uploads and nothing else.  

It is obvious that the problem is somewhere with the phone's modem software and you can see, it is not only me.  I hope Samsung comes up with an update soon to fix the problem.  

Thank you.
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Turn off Wi-Fi and go to...

Settings > About phone > Status information > SIM card status...

what are you showing for...

Mobile network state?

Signal strength?

Mobile voice network type?

Mobile data network type?

My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
0 Likes
tzontchev
Journeyman
Options

Here you go.

Screenshot_20210227-161903_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Looks like you have a good 4G/LTE signal at that location, for both voice and data.  I see that quote an average download speed of 80.5Mbps on their 4G network...

https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2020/02/canada/mobile-network-experience#:~:text=When%20we%20look....

Try, Speedtest by Ookla, free from the Play Store, to determine your current speed.

0 Likes
tzontchev
Journeyman
Options

Screenshot_20210227-181816_Speedtest.jpg

0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

A Download speed of 105Mbps is higher than the Telus average of 80.5Mbps. Upload is, as you say, slower than the Telus average of 12.8Mbps. Are you able to put your SIM card in another, Canadian, phone to check the upload speed in that area?

0 Likes
tzontchev
Journeyman
Options

Hi, Yes I can do it, but I know very well that the upload speed is much higher than 2Mbps.  I will do it with my wife's Iphone instead of transferring the sim. Is this OK?

0 Likes
tzontchev
Journeyman
Options

IMG_0235.PNGIMG_0236.PNGIMG_0237.PNG

0 Likes