Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp group notifications settings reset by themselves

(Topic created on: 08-04-2020 05:20 PM)
Marco_AG
First Poster
Options

A week ago I bought a Galaxy A70. For those who do not know, it runs Android 9.

When I want to silence group notifications, right after I switch both in-app and phone settings to silent/no vibration, the phone setting is set back to sound on —which means my phone vibrates on silent mode— and, surprisingly, this also means the in-app settings have been ignored all along. 

I did found a workaroud for Android 8, but nothing for 9 so far; Android 8 had "importance" settings that allowed Whatsapp to override notification settings, but all points to it missing in Android 9.

I have contacted Whatsapp to no avail. They somehow take pride in what to them is "an intended functionality of the application and its features". I am currently hoping to find a fix via OS, no matter how cumbersome it is. Group notifications are something I do not need to be reminded everytime somebody sends a message, but neither I want to disable all notifications —which I am not even sure it would work at this point.

6 REPLIES 6
TedG82
First Poster
Options

Hi, 

Are there any developments on this topic? I struggle with the same issue (s10e).

As a workaround I set for every individual group chat the adjusted notifications on, and the reset the sound to "silent". That helps for that specific group chat.

Kind regards,

Ted

0 Likes
gaowei1972
Apprentice
Options

I encountered similar issues with Galaxy Note 10 plus running Android 10. I got reply from WhatsApp support as following2020-02-24 09_40_46-WhatsApp Messenger Support - gaowei1972@gmail.com - Gmail.png

0 Likes
HarmH
Student
Options

I have the same on my s10+ and it's so incredibly annoying. I just don't want vibrating stuff everyone I get a message let alone sounds. If I have my phone on vibrate I want the whatsapp message to be silent and not vibrating but it seems impossible to do so. I tried to set whatsapp to silent in the settings but that goes back to alert once I receive a message. Also when i set that notifications sounds and vibrations to silent it just keeps vibrating. This is super *****ty and only started occurring since the update to the latest Android... How is this possible, how can my Android settings be overridden like this? The only workaround I found was to put the phone on sound with the ring tone super low volume, then the notification settings remain silent and somehow don't vibrate? Its super weird and very annoying and frankly crazy that you can't control it properly 

Feen
First Poster
Options

This is laughable. Laughable that:

a) WhatsApp developers have the cheek to try to override users notification choices

b) android OS allows this!

But thank you for posting the reason for this. At leaset I know I'm not going insane. 

gaowei1972
Apprentice
Options

Thansk for reply!

What I do is just to select the converstion in WhatsApp and mute it. 

The thing is that you don't get any notification from this converstation anymore - have to check it manully to see if there's new messages. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Am facing the same problem so irritating🙄🙄🙄