Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp content showing on old SIM

(Topic created on: 18-11-2023 04:20 PM)
peedoff21
Student
Options
Hi, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about how the re-issue of 'old' numbers works?
Earlier this year a Vodaphone SIM was purchased to use in Egypt fpr a few days, but then never used since.
People that I contacted via WhatsApp whilst using that SIM are now saying that on their contacts, the number associated with it has a different profile picture of a complete stranger. It has since changed again, no picture just Arabic text.
Clearly the number has been recycled at least once, but my question is:
Can the new owner see the WhatsApp content I posted when it was 'my' number because its still visible to me and my contacts?
The only thing that has changed is the profile picture, there's no new content that has been added but it seems weird that he can change the picture.
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
keith30
Maestro
Options
Sounds like you've been hacked. I would inform WhatsApp customer service team and they will provide a new number and start a new account if you still want to use one.
0 Likes
peedoff21
Student
Options
Hi, the number is not used anymore, it was purely for the time in Egyot. The SIM card is collecting dust in the cupboard.
If it was hacked, then I would see additional messages wouldn't I?
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
It's unlikely that any new owner of your old number can see any of your old messages or call logs etc as they are stored on your phone. However they will possibly get any new messages that your old contacts might send to the old No. E.g if you call the old number the new owner will answer, it's the same with texts etc. hope this makes sense