Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung pay card

(Topic created on: 22-10-2020 09:48 PM)
Charlie306
Navigator
Options
 My bank doesn't support Samsung pay so the app showed me Samsung pay card by CURVE after reading the terms and such I'm a little confused there are various charges for withdrawing money and foreign usage which is expected but no mention of any charges for paying for everyday purchases like supermarkets and shops, could someone tell me if there are any hidden charges? please.
Go to solution
11 REPLIES 11
gazzaUK
Apprentice
Options

@Charlie306 wrote:
yes mate I contacted curve directly and they rectified the situation, I didn't have an account after all but I did have to open an account with curve first then add the curve card to Samsung pay, all because yorkshire bank/ virgin money won't work with Samsung pay, I'd be interested to know why they won't!

thanks dude.

I've been fighting the problem that my bank only works with google pay and apple pay, which therefore excludes seemingly most wearables incl samsung, fitbit, garmin, etc (hence why i was interested in this thread).

Samsung pay card at least means i can potentially get a samsung watch (though it's not my first choice tbh).

Don't know what the pros/cons are of curve of course (haven't investigated). Not sure i like the chain required - more links = more things to go wrong / vulnerabilities.

Or of course i can do without NFC pay altogether :smiling-face: but it does seem convenient.

Re: your question about why yorkshire/virgin won't work with samsung pay, maybe it's contractual & anti competition e.g. google pay says go with us, we're big but you can't go with others or maybe they're just cheaper than samsung? All pure speculation of course. I'd have thought banks have to be super confident about security and the more contactless systems you have the more risk there is of accounts getting compromised (and i assume they'd be liable). I'm not saying samsung pay is risky to use - i wouldn't know - but you get the idea.

There may be technical issues too, if this article is accurate: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/09/google-pay-vs-samsung-pay-which-mobile-payment-provider-sho...

0 Likes
Charlie306
Navigator
Options
I'd recommend going with curve, I've got Google pay but switched off as a backup, Samsung/curve is more secure I'd say as it requires finger print to pay, you can get a physical card if you wish (I did) but I'd stay with the blue card/account as the others have charges, honestly mate I haven't had a thing go wrong since using curve/Samsung and I have noticed there isn't that annoying 30quid limit that Google pay has and it creates a virtual account number so your details are never used, I'm glad I persisted with it that's for sure, the less Google apps I have the better really, too much selling and collecting of data for me, I am a bit pissed at Samsung discontinuing the Samsung cloud(15gb free) in favour of one drive which only allows 5gb free before charging for space.
0 Likes