Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Health app - can't restore data to new phone!

(Topic created on: 27-07-2018 02:18 AM)
N4zM
First Poster
Options

Hi all, first time poster with a problem.

I have a gear fit 2 which has been my daily wearble since April. At the time, the Samsung app was installed on my Google Nexus 5. 

Last week, I changed my phone to a Pixel and re installed the Samsung Health app and logged in using my (only Samsung) account. However I was shocked to find ALL my previous data was not ported over! This is despite the data on the Nexus 5 was clearly synced to my Samsung account.

Anyway,I uninstalled the app on my new phone.. re-synced the data on the app on the Nexus 5 and re-installed and set up the Health up back again in the new phone. Again, no joy and the new app started as if it was a brand new profile!

Can anyone suggest a fix? I have months of data tracked and I really don't want to start all over again.

Both Health app versions on the Nexus 5 and Pixel phones are 5.11.1.001

I haven't deleted the app on the Nexus 5 just in case there's a way to retrieve it all.

Thank you all in advance.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
Solution
Utab
First Poster
Options

Hi, 

I just managed to get to the bottom of this as I was facing the same issue - altough on a Sony phone.

So, the main issue is, when you believe your old phone is syncing data and saves it in the cloud - actually it isn't. And no - there is no error message. It is easy to check - connect your old phone to Wi-Fi (assuming the sim is in the new phone) and try to sync from the Samsung health app manually. Click the 3dots on the top righ, then select setting from the drop down. Click samsung account and Sync Now. If it returns with an error message (e.g. log into samsung account to sync) it is not syncing. - And probably not ever synced.

So, what you need to do is to back up your SHealth data from the old phone. Unfortunately, as the sync does not work it is not straight forward. I started with removing the samsung Health app from the new phone, until you back up the old one. (on your new phone go to settings/apps and notifications/app info - find the samsung health app and click on it, then click uninstall. Put your new phone on the side for now.

Then login to your samsung account on a computer and change your password. (https://account.samsung.com). Once your password is changed you need to delete your samsung account from your old phone. Make sure you do not uninstall the SHealth app! (depends on the phone, but it is usually under settings/users & accounts. 

Find "Sync Samsung Health with Samsung account".  Click on it and remove.

Once it is removed you can add the same account again through the same way settings/users & accounts - add the bottom click - add account.

Once you typed in your email and  new password go back to the Samsung app and Sync manually. This will take a while as probably your phone hasn't sync since the first install of the Samsung Health app.

Once the sync is complete on your old phone, you can download the Samsung Health app again on the new phone and login. On the bottom of the app you will see a message saying updating data. 

Now I have all last years activity on my new phone and hope you will manage to  get it as well.

lfellner
Apprentice
Options

OMG !!! I was looking for exactly that solution - I have to try it as soon as I get home and will tell you if it worked for em as well :smiling-face:

0 Likes
sonynamase
First Poster
Options

Well Done!

Thanks for taking your time to explain this solution. 

It worked for me, Thanks! 

From Xiaomi to LG phone

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Some good work there, @Utab, thanks! :robothappy:

@lfellner: Let us know how you got on.

@N4zM: I aprreciate that it's an older post from you, but does what Utab suggested work for you? Or did you find another solution?

0 Likes
lfellner
Apprentice
Options

Unfortunately it did not work for me..

The problem was, that sync. worked before but then suddenly it stopped synchronizing and all preivious data was lost.

I have a huawei p10 and made a completely reset. After installing everything again it worked for me. I lost 10 days of tracking, but at least the older data was still there. At least it works now :smiling-face:

0 Likes
GHow81
First Poster
Options

I just upgraded to a new S9, my old S8 (no longer have) didn't sync. I lost about a full year of data. It would be nice if when you set it to sync it would actually sync the data. I lost my personal best of 36k+ steps for a single day. I'll keep a better eye on it this time.

0 Likes
Solution
lfellner
Apprentice
Options

You should try to resync with your old smartphone again, to be sure, that  the data is restored there. Then delete samsung health app and start it again (better restart all phones before that, no idea if it helps, but just in case)

And then log in!

Another option is to download on laptop or tablet.. you just need to check, that the data is stored somewhere... Samsung help was no help with that problem..

Hope it helped :smiling-face:

EndUser2018
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the instructions these got my data back on my new phone though tI was goign to have to do the SDK and all that other junk... just wish I had found these earlier as I wasted an hour before I found this

0 Likes
Mexy
First Poster
Options

@Utab wrote:

Hi, 

I just managed to get to the bottom of this as I was facing the same issue - altough on a Sony phone.

Utah you saved the day! I don't know if you will see this but thank you so much for sharing this solution. 

It worked 100% for me and I am very happy to have all my hard work from my previous phone now on my new one! :smiling-face: 

You beauty!