Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

One UI 3.0 Folders reduced to 3x4 - please reverse this stupid change

(Topic created on: 11-02-2021 02:26 PM)
MGSteve
Journeyman
Options

I just accepted the update to Android 11 and One UI 3.0 on my Samsung Galaxy S10 a couple of days ago.

Most changes I see are positive but the one I absolutely HATE is the change from 4x4 grid to 3x4 grid in folders. I have seen a posting on the UI Beta programme with 23 pages of complaints, but as it's in the 'Suggestions' section I doubt if any developer has seen it - there are certainly no useful replies, only more and more annoyed users complaining. So I am raising this here as a direct complaint against the production version of this software.

Why was it changed? did anyone complain that they had too many icons in a folder?? now my most used groups of apps like Google apps and Travel apps spread over 2 screens instead of one.

This same update *increased* the number of icons I can have on a home screen by allowing a 5x6 grid, so why on earth was the grid size on folders *reduced* and with no option to choose? There's an old adage in software development: "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - there was never a problem with 4x4 grid in a folder (unless some people might have wanted more, not fewer icons)

If others agree please add to this post. Samsung developers: please respond and do something about this annoying and unwanted change.

10 REPLIES 10
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
This is just a forum for fellow Samsung users, I doubt any developers come here.
0 Likes
Solution
ghosty
Voyager
Options
you can change this setting in the good lock home up app, you can go from 3x3 all the up to 7x7 for folders there
MGSteve
Journeyman
Options

Fair enough - I doubt if company policy would allow a direct reply. But how else to get enough people to raise it with them to reverse this bad change? 

0 Likes
MGSteve
Journeyman
Options

Thanks,

I found the Good Lock app in the Galaxy store, added the Home Up module, and found exactly what I wanted: settings to customize the grid size in folders - and a whole lot else that I don't really need but might try sometime.

I'm still amazed that I have to install a 3rd-party app to fix what should be in the native UI, but at least I have a solution.

ghosty
Voyager
Options
glad it was what you were after 👍
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The only thing is that  Task Change and Edge Lightning do not seem to be updated yet, Good Lock certainly useful app though.  https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-good-lock 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
ghosty
Voyager
Options
I'm sure they will in time, I look forward to trying them out being a first time Samsung user
0 Likes
CR28
First Poster
Options

This "fix" doesn't update the secure folder, that remains locked to 3x4 regardless of the option chosen in the Good Lock/Home Up app

0 Likes
ghosty
Voyager
Options
yes that is true, you can't even create folders in secure folder either so it is a different beast altogether.
however I am pretty impressed with how secure folder works now I understand it, it is way more secure/private than any other equivalent I've used
0 Likes