Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Sync Mail Folders other than Inbox?

(Topic created on: 02-06-2021 12:07 PM)
rsbrux
Explorer
Options

In Samsung Mail under "Folders to sync" I have checked "Drafts" and "Sent" as well as "Inbox" for several accounts, but only the Inbox is syncing.  I have had this problem on my old Note 4 as well as my current Note 10.

On my Note 4 I could at least get get other folders to sync by opening them individually in Samsung mail, but this doesn't seem to work in the current software on the Note 10. 

How can I sync *all* folders in an account?  Of course, I would prefer for this to work automatically, but since the automatic sync appears to be unreliable, a manual method would be welcome.

BTW, please don't give me the usual Samsung advice to delete and recreate my mail accounts; I have half a dozen and most of them have custom server settings.

P.S. An unwelcome side effect of this problem is that I often have to delete the same messages on more than one device, despite using IMAP, which is supposed to prevent this: apparently the Trash folder doesn't sync either

3 REPLIES 3
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@rsbrux 

hello

try heading to Settings → Accounts → Email → tap your email → 3 dots → Sync

😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
rsbrux
Explorer
Options

@strawberry cake

Thanks for responding.

That used to work on my Note 4, but no longer exists on my Note 10.  The Settings menu contains "Accounts an Backup" instead of "Accounts".  If I choose that, there is no entry "Email", but there is "Manage accounts".  If I choose that, I see all accounts, not just e-mail accounts.  If I choose one of the accounts which doesn't sync "Drafts" and "Sent", there is an item labeled "Sync Account", but picking it doesn't trigger a sync: instead it leads to an on/off switch labelled "Email", which also displays the timestamp of the last sync.  If I turn it off and back on again, a circular icon briefly shows it doing something, but the Drafts" and "Sent" folders still haven't been synchronized.

0 Likes
rsbrux
Explorer
Options

In a fit of desperation, I tried to remove and recreate one of the mail accounts that doesn’t sync properly.  The predictable result was that I permanently lost all of the contents of the “Drafts” and “Sent” folders from that account on the Note 10, but the newly created account still did not download the contents of “Drafts” or “Sent” from the server. 

The problem seems to depend on the account.  The account that I recreated *with* an "IMAP path prefix" (which I need in both Outlook and Thunderbird) failed to synchronize any folder other than “Inbox”, until I removed the "IMAP path prefix".  After removing it, the "Sent" folder synchronized and the "Drafts" folder *appeared* to sync, but on closer examination, the draft e-mail message shown didn't have any content! 

Gmail and Yahoo accounts, as well as another IMAP account without an “IMAP path prefix”, can sync the “Sent” folder, but not the “Drafts” folder.

I prefer to use the Samsung apps to third-party or even Google apps, but without at least a workaround to allow manual sync of these folders, I will be forced to look for an alternative.

I am running Android 11 with the latest (2021-05-28) update.

The Email app shows Version 6.1.42.0

0 Likes