Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I uninstall Microsoft Your Phone Companion - Link to Windows From Note20 Ultra 5G?

(Topic created on: 08-10-2020 07:10 PM)
DBH56
Apprentice
Options

I installed this app to compare with Dex, but I like Dex better.  It seems once you install it, they make it difficult to uninstall.

13 REPLIES 13
AndrewL
Options

@DBH56: You should be able to long press on the app icon and select 'Uninstall' from the pop up prompts. Alternatively, head to Settings > Apps > Select the relevant app > Uninstall. 

H3xL3A
Explorer
Options
I personally like the your phone app as it felt smoother for frame rates opposed to 30fps on Dex and I have the same phone too.
0 Likes
DBH56
Apprentice
Options

It is not a standard app.  there is no icon in the app screen, where all the ragular apps are,  although it shows up in the app list in Settings/Apps.  In that list, when you tap on a standard app, at the bottom you have the options for "Open", "Uninstall" or "Force Stop".  For this app the only choices are "Disable" (which is grayed out, perhaps because I disabled it somehow), and "Force Stop" (which doesn't seem to stop it).

DBH56
Apprentice
Options

I like some things about the the Your Phone App, like connecting via Bluetooth rather than requiring a cable, and the way the PC monitor display window would scale when it was resized.  The Dex app shrinks when you resize the window to take up less desktop space.  But the Your Phone app won't let you delete text messages and a few other things.  I want an app that is as close as can be to a windows computer experience,  Neither app is perfect, but i prefer Dex.

0 Likes
DBH56
Apprentice
Options

For anyone interested, while I was not able to uninstall the "Your Phone Companion" app, I was able to disable it by turning off all the permissions in the app settings and tapping "force stop".  I was then able to use Dex again without any problems.

0 Likes
Options

Key words here being "should be able", but we are not able.  Additionally, the only location one can find the app icon is under Settings>Apps.  Long pressing here does not trigger any pop-up, but will only open the App Info once you release the long press.  In the App Info, there is no option to uninstall.  There is a Disable, that is already disabled (grayed out), and there is a Force stop which will kill the app, but it just reboots.  The link to the app's store page will take you there, but once again, no option to uninstall.  Why should we have these junk apps forced upon us that none of us want, and then have no method to remove it from our phones???  This type of behavior simply is not right, and besides being wrong, it is nefariously dirty!  Guess, I should probably do a little research and determine if there is a halfway decent Linux based phone available on the market.  I'll happily downgrade to a lower performing phone because in the long run it would save me from numerous headaches, and invasions of my property, and personal data!

Options

I have done the same, but the app merely reboots after a few minutes.

0 Likes
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

The Phone Companion app most likely came with the phone as only system apps cannot be uninstalled through the app manager on your phone. That being said, there is a way to uninstall it via ADB (Android Debug Bridge). There are the steps involved:

1. USB debugging must be enabled.

Open Settings & navigate to About phone, select Software information, tap on Build number until you are prompted for your PIN or Password. Enter to unlock Developer options in Settings.

In Developer options, scroll down to the Debugging section and enable USB debugging.

2. Getting the ADB application.

The easiest way to get the ADB binaries is to search for 'Minimal ADB Fastboot' in Google on your PC, version 1.4.3 should be the latest. I recommend downloading it from XDA forum and using the portable version if your don't want to use an installer.

3. Pairing with the ADB application.

Run 'cmd-here' which should be in the location where you extracted the ADB binaries to open Command Prompt at that location. Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable if you haven't already done so & in Command Prompt, enter adb start-server at which point you should be prompted on your phone to pair with your PC.

Now enter adb devices to make should your phone is paired properly, you should see at least one entry which is usually a hexadecimal value.

4. Uninstalling the Phone Companion package via ADB.

The command to do this is adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.microsoft.appmanager. This should result in a 'Success' message if it worked.

Now enter adb kill-server and disconnect your phone from your PC & you should be good to go.

I know this seems like a lot, but its actually really simple and there are a ton of videos on YouTube that show you how to do it if you're unsure.

Rickap7
First Poster
Options

Great but what if you have apple computers?