Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Hearing Devices bluetooth streaming issues on android 12

(Topic created on: 02-04-2022 03:58 PM)
Betaguy001
Apprentice
Options

I recently purchased some Rexton BiCore C R-LI bluetooth hearing devices while my S10e was running Android11. Connectivity was solid with no disconnects or streaming issues, or the Rexton app disconnecting.  Everything stayed up and connected all day. An upgrade for Android12 came in last week and since then, I am seeing constant issues where the app is stuck in connecting mode, streaming to one ear occurs regularly, and no amount of disabling/re-enabling antennas (bluetooth and airplane mode resets) or even restarting the phone, the app, and the hearing devices seems to help. The hearing devices are only connected to the phone, nothing else, and there are no other bluetooth connections being used to the phone. I've spoken with the Sivantos app developer support team and they are pointing at the relative infancy of ASHA on android as the suspect source of the problem,  suggesting restarts as I've listed above to rectify things.  What changes occurred to bluetooth, bluetooth LE, ASHA, etc, between android 11 and 12 that could be a factor here? And what can I do or expect to help resolve these issues? Im more than willing to help with diagnosis too...

7 REPLIES 7
GAJoe
Apprentice
Options

Betaguy001,

Have you had any luck getting the Android 12 to function better. I am planning on getting the Rexton BiCore and replaced my Galaxy S7b with the S10e for the streaming ability. It had Android 11 and I let it update to 12. Should I look into downgrading?

0 Likes
Solution
Betaguy001
Apprentice
Options

Hi GAJoe. Long reply here... I think there have been a couple phone upissues, and I'm finding the connectivity is much better now, staying connected thru the day pretty much error free. I do like the Rextons, although I haven't tried other brands. I had left a similar message with their tech support group and got a long, detailed reply from them. It explained that the low energy Bluetooth technology being used is relatively new and that the phone industry is really just coming up to speed with it whereas the hearing aid industry is there now, so the recommendation was to watch for and use any phone updates that become available, because improvements will continue, and I think that's what I've seen. However...

I had found that it was always my left device that would not connect, and had what I thought was a "power off" condition 4-5 times over a month (on the left device only), so I had the left one replaced a month ago. Connectivity since then has been solid, that's when it improved. I also discovered it was not the device powering off, it occurred once more on the new hearing aid, again, left side, and when I pressed the button to turn it back on, I heard the volume click up, so it was on, but just not amplifying incoming sound. I then looked at the Rexton app, and it thought both ***** were OK. I changed a setting, and pop..... the device was operating again. It was a software glitch of some sort that they will likely find/address I expect. 

Not trying to tell you things are flakey, just the opposite. I'm finding that I have pretty good, dependable streaming and overall service.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
GAJoe
Apprentice
Options

Yes it does help. Thank you for the detail. I feel much better about going forward without trying to downgrade my OS. I had checked out some procedures to do so and all said to proceed at your own risk... of bricking my phone. 

How are you liking the rechargeable HA's. This one will be my first. I work out of town some and plan to get a charger to keep in my travel bag to avoid the issue of forgetting to pack it away and pack it back.

How much run time do you get? with /without streaming?

Thanks again for your time to answer. I haven't been able to find reviews with the new Rexton BiCore.  I currently have a five year old Brio by Phonak for Costco that I am pleased with. The Sr HA Tech at Costco that fitted it is as good and thorough as any I have been to. I was pleased to learn that he was going to fit my new HA. He is picking the Rexton BiCore so I feel that his experience must be good with them. 

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Betaguy001
Apprentice
Options

Glad that helped.

By the way, I've now fully updated Rexton tech support regarding the condition where amplification stopped and a change on the app restarted things.  That's likely something they will address in a firmware upissue in the future, since it's not, I believe,  a hardware issue.

You will really like the rechargeable capability, especially the portable container. I don't stream much so I'm not pushing the batteries as hard as you might, but I've never had the batteries below 40%.... most end of night power down shows them at 60%, after 14 or more hours of use. The portable charger does its job at least 3 nights before turning from green to yellow status which is when I recharge it, but I'm guessing another night of charging is very do-able, for 4 nights. 

I've watched parents and relatives messing around with batteries, swapping  them in every few days, losing them on the floor since they are so small  etc, and I do not want that aggravation,  so the rechargeable feature is great to have.

Stay in touch, and let me know how you make out. Direct contact is rick@rkearney.ca. 

Rick

GAJoe
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the quick reply! Will do.

0 Likes
Betaguy001
Apprentice
Options

GAJoe, a quick update: I just heard back from the Rexton support team regarding the muting issue I mentioned to you. Appears they are aware of it and are getting close to a permanent fix, so that’s a good thing. Once this rather random thing is addressed, there aren’t any other problems that I’ve encountered - the Bluetooth connectivity seems to be working well these days too. 
(from the support guys:) “As for your reports about the hearing aid randomly muting and your workarounds, we have found that in the instances where others have run into the same scenario, those workarounds also were applicable so I'm impressed that you found that all on your own. Our developers are in the middle of testing for a permanent fix. The intermittent nature of this problem makes it difficult to find the root cause but we believe we are almost there. In the meantime, continue to use those workarounds you found to unmute the hearing ***** when the behavior does appear.”

cheers!

0 Likes
robk1w1
First Poster
Options

I have just purchased a S21 FE, which comes with Android 12. ASHA is completely unusable with my Resound LINX Quattro's. In fact, bluetooth pairing is unusable (to control HA functions). ReSound has a tech tip out on it suggesting workarounds and acknowledging that it's not a solution - issued in March I believe, so no progress since then. None of the suggestions helped me. I have had many symptoms, including one ear dropping out, not being able to pair, etc. Under BT settings in the phone it thinks it's paired, but the app doesn't, or only pairs one, and other variations. I have reset everything, deleting the pairing info, etc, many times. I now use my old phone to control my HA's (switching to TV, controlling volume, etc) and a phone clip adapter for connecting phone calls. It seems like we're at the mercy of Google to get a fix out? And then maybe Resound and/or Samsung have to make changes too? I suspect a long wait for a proper fix. Does anyone have any experience or updated information about this?

0 Likes