Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gmail will not re-install on Galaxy S9 - it has me going around in a loop

(Topic created on: 26-02-2023 01:16 PM)
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

My issue starts from the Gmail icon on my mobile phone.

When i try to re-install Gmail, the following dialogue takes place on my Samsung Galaxy S9 mobile:

"Welcome to Gmail" is displayed

I skip the splash screen

I am prompted to "Add an email address"

I am given the opportunity to "Set up email", with a choice of email clients

I pick "Google", and the system says "Checking Info" ...

I am presented with a "Sign in" screen.

I enter my email address  and hit "Next"

I enter my password and hit "Next"

I am presented with "2-Step Verification" and my other spare mobile pings

My other mobile displays "Are you trying to sign in?"

I respond by accepting the "Yes, it's me" button

Control returns to my Galaxy S9 mobile

I agree "The Terms of Reference"

Google Services displays "Just a sec..." and waits for quite a few seconds 

Then I am presented with the prompt to add an email address again

I hit "Take me to Gmail" and the screen says "Please add at least one address"

So I am back where I started. Frustrating!

[Google-One Support thought that the Gmail App wasn't saving the data of the login, but could not explain why, and referred me to Samsung for further assistance]

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

@ReeceQ @PaulM1 @Blessed4life 
Thank you for all your advice and guidance over the past week or so.
Sadly I have had to back up my files, and do a factory reset.
All files are now restored, and I am back up and running on my Samsung Galaxy S9

Best wishes. George 

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
PaulM1
Options

That's great, @Knutsfordgeorge. This might be a bit late, or you may have already found this, but the guide below should facilitate you in backing up and/or restoring your WhatsApp data:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-back-up-or-restore-whatsapp-data/

View solution in context

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Can try the following:

Check if GMAIL still supports your android version which it should.

Check if all other apps linked with that account work, like Google Drive, Photos, etc.

If all okay.

Go yo settings for GMAIL, clear cache and data. This will clean its app data. Then force stop. Close all apps.

The restart process by opening GMAIL.

If still issue, switch off auto sync option for GMAIL under settings , accounts, and try if it saves and if it does resume auto sync.

Hope all that helps. Sounds like a setting issue but have you also set up Gmail with Samsung own email app that can cause conflict.

Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hi, make sure if it has a two step verification activated that when the other phone pings its not asking for a code or sent a code via messages or email for you to enter into the phone your trying to sign into, also you should remove your private information (Email) address for security reasons from your post.
0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

ReeceQ

Thank you for taking the time to review and respond to my issue :smiling-face:

GMail still supports my Android version.
The other Apps linked to my account, do not work either (e.g. Play, Google, Files etc)

Notwithstanding that, I did try your suggestion , but with no success

I have not set up Gmail with Samsung own email, so there isn't a conflict there.

I agree with you that this sounds like some setting issue glitch.

But its like looking for a needle in a haystack 😕

0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Blessed4Life

Thank you for taking the time to review and respond to my issue :smiling-face:

Two-step verification is activated, when the other phone rings it only asks me to hit the "Yes" prompt (it does not ask for a code)

I will remove my private email as you have recommended

Many thanks for your support :smiling-face:

ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Thanks for checking. The key issue for me is that u can't access any other Google services on your phone. Have you looked to log in to chrome on your laptop or tablet? Do you have issues logging in?

Have you changed passwords?

Can you create a new Google account email address any issues doing so or not?

I will do some research I have checked my Fold 3 and cannot see any obvious settings.

0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Thanks for staying on the case for me ReeceQ (much appreciated)

YES I can launch Chrome from  my laptop OK.

On the Samsung S9 , when I hit the Chrome icon, the phone randomly brings up a web page.
When I press the 3 dots. in the corner the phone displays a vertical list of menu items.

YES, I have changed account passwords. The history is:
A week or so ago, because I thought (perhaps erroneously) that my S9 security had been compromised, I initially removed the Gmail from my Galaxy S9. Then I subsequently decided to change the account password on my Chromebook. When I tried to set the email up again on my S9, I ran into the problem we have been discussing here.

I am not able to create a new Gmail account on My Chromebook or S9 , the software is rejecting my proposed new login email/password combinations, saying they are already taken.

So I am kind of stuck but I think my issue must be something in and around the login process 

George

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Before I dig deeper, and happy to help we will sort this out, have you asked Google whether your account has been blocked by them? Or your IP address?

Sounds odd but worth asking Google whether they have put inhibitors on your profile?

It does sound from what u say Google is stopping something from happening rather than phone.

Plus worth checking Google Account within your Google App, the standalone app and see if everything looks okay in settings, privacy etc. It brings up detailed tabs , that is if you can log in into Google.

Ask Google the above anyway.
0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Thanks again :smiling-face:

Yes, I will ask them. Turnaround time with Google One Support is about 24 hours (due to time differences), but I have an open line of communication. So I should get an answer by late evening/breakfast time tomorrow!

Meanwhile I will browse through the Google Account within the Google App and see if there is anything unusual.

Have a great day, George

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
It does sound like an account profile issue. Maybe when you sign in to another device they do ping a message saying was that you etc maybe linked to that. But let me know what Google say.
0 Likes