Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gmail will not re-install on Galaxy S9 - it has me going around in a loop

(Topic created on: 05-03-2023 10:41 PM)
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

My issue starts from the Gmail icon on my mobile phone.

When i try to re-install Gmail, the following dialogue takes place on my Samsung Galaxy S9 mobile:

"Welcome to Gmail" is displayed

I skip the splash screen

I am prompted to "Add an email address"

I am given the opportunity to "Set up email", with a choice of email clients

I pick "Google", and the system says "Checking Info" ...

I am presented with a "Sign in" screen.

I enter my email address  and hit "Next"

I enter my password and hit "Next"

I am presented with "2-Step Verification" and my other spare mobile pings

My other mobile displays "Are you trying to sign in?"

I respond by accepting the "Yes, it's me" button

Control returns to my Galaxy S9 mobile

I agree "The Terms of Reference"

Google Services displays "Just a sec..." and waits for quite a few seconds 

Then I am presented with the prompt to add an email address again

I hit "Take me to Gmail" and the screen says "Please add at least one address"

So I am back where I started. Frustrating!

[Google-One Support thought that the Gmail App wasn't saving the data of the login, but could not explain why, and referred me to Samsung for further assistance]

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

@PaulM1 Thank you for  dropping in on my problem. I will review the PlayStore steps you've sent to me. A Factory Reset could be on the cards in the near future 😕

@ReeceQ Yes, I have turned off two-step verification, but it has made no difference sadly 😞

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Thanks. Factory reset is weapon of last resort. Make sure all data backed up and photos if not stored in the cloud or SD card.

Before doing full factory reset cab try resetting all settings which is a lite reset. If that doesn't work then full factory reset may be only option.

But I an intrigued why everything else works except Google Services.

I am sorry wasn't able to resolve the matter for u.
0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Hi reset is last resort and if you have backed up everything and then worth doing reset.

This may reset any settings that has gone astray.

Sorry wasn't able to resolve.
0 Likes
Solution
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

@ReeceQ @PaulM1 @Blessed4life 
Thank you for all your advice and guidance over the past week or so.
Sadly I have had to back up my files, and do a factory reset.
All files are now restored, and I am back up and running on my Samsung Galaxy S9

Best wishes. George 

0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

You're very welcome, @Knutsfordgeorge. That sounds very promising. Is everything working as expected now?

0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

YES thanks @PaulM1 

notwithstanding that the Samsung backup did not backup my Whatsapp messages, everything else is working as it should after the restore.

0 Likes
Solution
PaulM1
Options

That's great, @Knutsfordgeorge. This might be a bit late, or you may have already found this, but the guide below should facilitate you in backing up and/or restoring your WhatsApp data:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-back-up-or-restore-whatsapp-data/

0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

@PaulM1 Thanks for sending  me the link to backing up/restoring Whatsapp data. This will be very useful next time around.

I was aware that the Whatsapp files were backed up each morning to my Google Drive. Sadly , at the time, I could not find the backup file on the Google drive when I needed it.  I did not know where to look in the Google drive from my new phone, but I do now. The guide is a great help, so I will be fine should I have to go through the process again.

Incidentally how do you find the Whatapp backup in the Google Drive, when accessing the Google Drive through Chromebook?

Many thanks, George

0 Likes