Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate contacts in S20

(Topic created on: 21-02-2021 02:41 PM)
George284
Apprentice
Options

Used the Smart Switch to transfer all kinds of data from my old S6 to new S20 5G. Otherwise relatively OK but the contacts list came through in duplicate. Annoyingly, there's first a list A to Z, the mostly used favourite contacts are in the middle and finally the A to Z list again. Deleting anything deletes both of the two names and reinserting from the bin gives them both back again. Tried to delete them all and repeating the Smart Switch transfer but the outcome was always the same. Anybody with a good hint?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
papashaun
Troubleshooter
Options
Hi could try opening Contacts - tap on the 3 horizontal lines at top left - will get pop up menu with option to Manage Contacts - tap that and should get another menu which includes option to Delete Duplicate Contacts ( will say I have never needed to use this so not sure from there ) - might want to have a backup of your contacts somewhere before you try it
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@George284: Can you try heading to Contacts > Tap the 3 lines in the top left > Manage Contacts > Merge Contacts. From here you can find duplicate contacts grouped by Number, Email and Name, so run through each category via the options at the top of the screen, tap the circle next to any grouped contacts you'd like to merge, and tap Merge. 

0 Likes
George284
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your input. The scheme both you and papashaun proposed did not work - forgot to mention it in the first msg. Luckily now my new S20, having been on and connected to the network already for abt 3 days, chose to update both the OS and the UI to the most recent versions, Android 11 and One UI 3.0.  I then deleted all my contacts and was preparing to work through the Smart Switch again from my old S6. Before that I tried to restore the deleted contacts and - it worked. Now everything perfect!

0 Likes
papashaun
Troubleshooter
Options
Good - glad you got it sorted
0 Likes