Did you mean: 

Chat (RCS) not connecting in Samsung Messages or Google Messages

(Topic created on: 29-09-2021 03:15 PM)
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10 (UK)

Version: OneUI 2.5 / Android 10

I've been using my phone in Samsung Messages with Chat (RCS) for months without issue. I could even send Chat messages to a friend who's using Google Messages. I didn't think this would work as I was using Samsung Messages, but it does.

I recently read that Google have finally added Scheduled messaging to Google Messages. So I installed it and was disappointed it doesn't have this feature yet, at least in The UK.

Since then:

Samsung Messages:

Since then Samsung Messages says it's connected to RCS (all seems fine) but I can tell it's not connected as that same friend and someone else I used to send Chat messages to now only give me the option to SMS.

I believe it's struggling to connect as from time to time it asks me to click the Accept button again to turn on Chat.

I've tried:

1. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  2. Restarting the phone.
  3. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  4. Leaving it 24 hours but if I open the previous chat for the two friends I know have Chat on their phones I'm now only ever offered SMS.

Google Messages:

Google Messages connected to Chat the first time. But since going back to Samsung Messages, then back to Google Messages again, I can't get Chat to connect. In hindsight I shouldn't have Google Message's cleared app data but I wanted to be sure only one SMS app was active.

It's always constantly at Setting Up - Trying to Verify your number and never does.

I've tried:

1. Uninstalling/reinstalling Google Messages
  2. Installing Google Play Carrier Services (is this actually needed for EE UK? I think it's for the US)
  3. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  4. Restarting the phone.
  5. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  6. Opting into the Beta program to use the latest version. I've now opted out and am back on the latest stable release.
  7. Leaving it 24 hours. Do I need to leave it Turned Off for 8 days? - https://support.google.com/messages/thread/84900536?msgid=89777417

Right now I'd prefer to use Samsung Messages until Google add scheduled messaging to Google Messages.

But ultimately I just want one of them to connect to Chat. I've been trying for 2 weeks now and neither will connect to Chat.

31 REPLIES 31
bradavon
Navigator
Options
I find if you leave it somewhere between 2 weeks to 3 weeks you'll be able to connect again. But it takes this long and you must be patient.

That's right. The same if you use Samsung Messages and Google Messages. You can very easily cause it to cease connecting.

I think you get blacklisted for a period.
0 Likes
Claypants
First Poster
Options

Not sure about previous replies, but I had similar and got it working by uninstalling Google Messages (which I used a while ago but didn't like because it didn't work with my watch), reboot phone, then Samsung Messages Chat did register ok and the Chat settings appeared and is working fine.