Did you mean: 

Chat (RCS) not connecting in Samsung Messages or Google Messages

(Topic created on: 22-07-2021 09:59 AM)
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10 (UK)

Version: OneUI 2.5 / Android 10

I've been using my phone in Samsung Messages with Chat (RCS) for months without issue. I could even send Chat messages to a friend who's using Google Messages. I didn't think this would work as I was using Samsung Messages, but it does.

I recently read that Google have finally added Scheduled messaging to Google Messages. So I installed it and was disappointed it doesn't have this feature yet, at least in The UK.

Since then:

Samsung Messages:

Since then Samsung Messages says it's connected to RCS (all seems fine) but I can tell it's not connected as that same friend and someone else I used to send Chat messages to now only give me the option to SMS.

I believe it's struggling to connect as from time to time it asks me to click the Accept button again to turn on Chat.

I've tried:

1. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  2. Restarting the phone.
  3. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  4. Leaving it 24 hours but if I open the previous chat for the two friends I know have Chat on their phones I'm now only ever offered SMS.

Google Messages:

Google Messages connected to Chat the first time. But since going back to Samsung Messages, then back to Google Messages again, I can't get Chat to connect. In hindsight I shouldn't have Google Message's cleared app data but I wanted to be sure only one SMS app was active.

It's always constantly at Setting Up - Trying to Verify your number and never does.

I've tried:

1. Uninstalling/reinstalling Google Messages
  2. Installing Google Play Carrier Services (is this actually needed for EE UK? I think it's for the US)
  3. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  4. Restarting the phone.
  5. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  6. Opting into the Beta program to use the latest version. I've now opted out and am back on the latest stable release.
  7. Leaving it 24 hours. Do I need to leave it Turned Off for 8 days? - https://support.google.com/messages/thread/84900536?msgid=89777417

Right now I'd prefer to use Samsung Messages until Google add scheduled messaging to Google Messages.

But ultimately I just want one of them to connect to Chat. I've been trying for 2 weeks now and neither will connect to Chat.

31 REPLIES 31
MissChelle
First Poster
Options
thanks for the update. Google message is stuck on verifying for me so no luck there either 😕
0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options

The only thing that's worked for me is to leave it off somewhere between 2 to 3 weeks. I'm not exactly sure how many days, someone said 8 days and I tried 9 days to find it wasn't long enough.

But if you turn it back on it seems to connect to the Jibe server and you've not got anywhere. You have to leave it off and not try and turn it on in Google Messages or Samsung Messages.

But mine broke less than a week later (stuck on verifying too), so it sure is fragile. Someone in another thread event went to the effort to get a new number but only fixed it for a few days.

Mine's off in Google Messages and I'll try again in 2-3 weeks. I'm hoping I was just unlucky, but if I lose it a third time I'm going to give up.

I only had it working again last Tuesday from when it stopped working at Christmas and was Verifying for weeks. It was only when I gave up and just left it off I got anywhere.

0 Likes
asggold
Journeyman
Options

Mine was stuck for a day and then was able to get through.  I just found out you can not try to Verify too many times in one day.

Try to:

1. Turn off RCS in Google Messages
  2. Go into Settings -> Applications and Force Quit Google Messages
  3. Clear Data/Cache
  4. Wait until the next day and turn back on the "Enable RCS" switch

Not sure if the above will work but that's what did it for me.

0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options

That's never worked for me. Once it's verifying more than say a minute, it'll never verify.

I wish it was as simple as Clearing AppData and leaving it a day. Which is basically the same as just leaving it off and you can't even receive SMS messages then.

But yeah it doesn't like it if you keep trying to re-verify in the same day.

0 Likes
asggold
Journeyman
Options

Mine was actually stuck for a day and even showed a message (quickly popped up after trying to initially verify) saying Too Many Attempts to Verify today, try again tomorrow.  So, I guess I got lucky but it did connect when I tried the next morning.  I was even out of the country at the time and thought that was the issue and I would have to get back to the US before it would verify but luckily that was not the case.

0 Likes
MissChelle
First Poster
Options
thanks guys. not holding out much hope but will give it a go
0 Likes
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hi all Samsung messages chat service is now working I haven't tried Google messages.
asggold
Journeyman
Options

What do you mean by "working"?  It was always, kind of, working but fully and not cross platform/carrier.  Are you saying you tested and now all of that is working?  If so, that would be great.  However, still find the lack of app or web option to also see your messages on a Mac is a blocker for me.  Until that happens I will be sticking with Google Messages.

0 Likes
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Well it wasn't working on my S21 ultra but it's working now & goes for loads of other peoplegoingby the commentsleft on this forum, Samsung messages that is.
0 Likes
TrqHsn
First Poster
Options

If you switch between Samsung version of Google message and original Google message then this problem occurred. You have nothing to do right now until google have done something for us. 😕

0 Likes