Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bixby Routines - how to toggle a feature on and off when you connect or disconnect from a Bluetooth device?

(Topic created on: 15-05-2019 08:50 AM)
andrewilley
Apprentice
Options

I'm having a go a setting up some Bixby Routines on my shiny new Galaxy A70, but I can't work out how to detect Bluetooth disconnections.

I want to create a pair of events so that when my phone initially connects to my Car's Bluetooth headunit, the phone automatically turns on its Mobile WiFi Hotspot (to provide traffic data to the headunit) AND when the phone disconnects from the same Bluetooth device (wherever that might be, so I can't use a Home/Location based routine) it automatically turns the Mobile Hotspot feature back off again so normal WiFi connections are re-enabled.

I can easily see how to enable the Hotspot for a Bluetooth connection, but I can't see how to create a routine to trigger with Bluetooth disconnections (like you can for other external items, such as connecting/disconnecting a wired headset or detecting charging/not-charging status).

Any thoughts?

Andre

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
andrewilley
Apprentice
Options

I thought I'd pop back and answer this one myself, as no-one from Samsung seems to be around or wishes to comment.

So I thought I'd give it a try with my car headunit anyway, and after some trials it seems that this conditional operation in Bixby Routines is not really an 'IF' statement at all  (as in a trigger with a resulting one-off action) but more of a 'WHILE' condition. Thus the Wi-Fi hotspot only stays active while the specified Bluetooth device remains connected, and the phone reverts back normal Wi-Fi operation when I exit the car, which is exactly what I wanted. 

Andre

monkeytheboy
First Poster
Options

How did you turn the if statement into a while statement? This is not a solution Samsung.

0 Likes
melendezml
First Poster
Options

I'm trying to create a routine where my phone connected to my cars Bluetooth and a certain app is open, then close that app.

Any ideas?

I don't see the option to close an app for the Then part

I don't see the app that is listed in the IF part either

0 Likes
NickFurnell
Apprentice
Options
Because the routine ONLY runs, while the IF statement is true. Once it's false the routine will stop, and the settings will refine to the previous mode.
0 Likes
kittykratt1987
First Poster
Options

Just an FYI: this solution helped me create a routine which turns Mobile Hotspot on when WiFi signal gets below 40%, the initial routine is turning WiFi off below 40%. You're awesome. Mad props. Thanks.

0 Likes
RanMan
Student
Options

Please send me details on creating said routine to my account via PM.

Thank you

0 Likes
andrewilley
Apprentice
Options

Sadly, the most recent update to Bixby Routines (installed when the Android 11 update hit) seems to have broken this functionality which had worked flawlessly up until now. 😞

Although there is now an official 'Reverse Actions' option at the end of lists, which triggers when the current Routine ends - as opposed to it just happening automatically and transparently before - it no longer works properly.

While it does indeed turn the enabled Mobile Hotspot Off again when the routine ends, it does NOT restore the previous wi-fi status, leaving it turned off regardless of the previous setting.

And you can't manually force it by creating separate Wi-Fi OFF and then Hotspot ON actions in the original Routine - so both actions would be reversed at the end - as it says they conflict (they don't if processed sequentially) and you can't add both to one routine.

Andre

0 Likes
Gios72
Journeyman
Options

I have the same problem when i disconnect the hotspot with a routine. I forced the wifi on by executing another routine with a bixby voice command "switch the wifi on". Butit is really frustrating

0 Likes