Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing machine not starting cycle

(Topic created on: 23-10-2019 07:02 PM)
SallyT
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

can anyone help... my washing machine won't start, I turn it on deject the programme and it starts and goes for about a minute before stopping.

model: Wf80f5e5u4x

all lights are on but flash like it's stuck and won't go any further.

please help

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26
chezg151
Student
Options
It did end up going completely. Sounds very like yours I would maybe get a cycle and then it completely went. Ended up needing a new motor and another part. Luckily still had 4 weeks warranty left. Worth checking if you still have warranty
0 Likes
Purpleman
Apprentice
Options

Hi just wanted to add some extra details to this great thread which saved me from buying a new expensive washing machine. The information is a bit hazy and not detailed some of it so it might be confusing.

I have a Samsung WF80F5E0W4W Ecobubble 8k washing machine, its been well behaved past 7-8 years but did recently play up.

The fault was any washing machine cycle mode (15 minute, 1hour daily, cotton etc)

it would start and within few minutes just stop or pause in the middle of the cycle, at first I thought someone hit the pause button but even pressing resume/play it would pause automatically again.

Searched internet and came here.

In my case it was the Carbon Brushes. These are brushes that washing machines need to be replaced every few years use(4-7 years roughly)

You can buy the carbon brushes off ebay or amazon for roughly £10-15 for a set of 2.

(best to replace both since the jobs a pitta)

Usually typing in Samsung washing machine carbon brushes you will spot the brown ones or black ones online, you can type your model number or search if the item fits your machine they appear to be very generic.

Here is a link to the brown ones I got:

Washing Machine WELLING MOTOR CARBON BRUSHES PA66 X 2
£9.93

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XUC797W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I took my washing machine moter out to replace the carbon brushes though mine were black like these:

SAMSUNG Ecobubble WF80F5E0W4W 8KG Motor carbon Brushes High-Quality:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333959346646

Don't worry you can use a flat head screwdriver and pry the casing open and simply take the brush and spring unit and put in the original black casing from your washing machine it still works fine. Or better yet get the black ones, you won't really know unless you take the moter out first and see what ones you got, black or brown.

I followed these 2 videos here which show how to do it the best way:

I struggled quite a bit to put the black belt on there is a knack and method to it though which is shown in the 3rd youtube video towards end ( it involves putting the belt on the big wheel first and then small one and then rotating big wheel slowly so it catches and tightens up). Depending on how good you are with DiY and repairs it might not be something you can do but most I feel could but it requires plenty muscle, I put fairly liquid on the floor and some water to glide my machine out to garden, its is a tip I would do otherwise you will break your back and bottom even more.

If that video helps you consider tipping him and buying him a beer.

0 Likes
robtraps
First Poster
Options
Does it work on every cycle now?
0 Likes
Purpleman
Apprentice
Options

It should do, I have tried 15 minutes and Daily and cotton for past 6 months since I replaced the carbon brushes but not tried every single mode just those 3 but if it works on those it should be fine on all modes.

Its just a job that requires some muscle or 2 men to move the machine out and tip it on the side to get to the part you need to replace the brushes.

A washing machine/fridge repair man could do the job easily an an hour id say but not sure about cost, it took me roughly 2 hours to do but was doing it on my own and slowly and just a regular diy guy.

0 Likes
Harry301
First Poster
Options

Thank you for your informative post. I have a the same washer in white I believe. 

Seems to be exactly the same problem as everybody else here. Took out the motor but the carbon brushes look absolutely fine - good length on them both and making a good contact. Did your carbon brushes look visibly worn?

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

you sound electrically competent if you had the motor apart to check the carbon brushes so the next thing you could check is the continuity between all the wires at the back of the motor on a large white plug , there are a load of thickish wires on there - the 2 thin black wires are for the tacho at the back of the motor, they do not normally cause problems , but the large wires on that big connector could break/burn out due to heat/bad connection . trace those wires with a continuity meter for open circuits in the wiring - of course goes without saying unplug the machine from the wall socket first!

@Harry301 wrote:

Thank you for your informative post. I have a the same washer in white I believe. 

Seems to be exactly the same problem as everybody else here. Took out the motor but the carbon brushes look absolutely fine - good length on them both and making a good contact. Did your carbon brushes look visibly worn?

Purpleman
Apprentice
Options

Sorry for late reply, yes my brushes were worn out totally so could see they needed replacing.

I can't think of anything else what it might be sadly, but try Andys message and check those wiring if something is burnt out or frail or if you are good with a meter check the wiring is ok. Its always a good idea just to check as much out as you can in there, I once had to spend a few hours undoing hose pipe clips and hoses and giving it a full clean out, somehow there was limescale golf sized stones blocking many of the pipework!  And we use calagon regularly and liquid soap not powered awful blocking stuff.

Sometimes these type of repair jobs probably do need a washing machine repair trademen since these guys do it on a daily basis, if you do find someone local and decent enough explain to him you have checked the brushes and there good etc see if he knows what could be the issue. Id imagine the worst thing is to start replacing the motors and other bits and bobs in there then that becomes expensive.