Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Hub - Ring App - Live View notification not closing after two recent firmware updates!

(Topic created on: 12-10-2023 04:13 PM)
BlairArmstrong
Explorer
Options

We are having an annoying problem with BOTH of our Samsung Family Hub Fridges, one in Canada (Model RF22M9581SR), and the other in Mexico (Model RF27T5501B1), and it's really troublesome! 

Normally, when someone presses the Ring Video Doorbell at either property, it opens the app on our Samsung Family Hub Fridge, at that location, so you can see the person, and even speak to them, and then you could hang up, or... if unanswered, the app would timeout and close itself.

The problem started after the September 2023 update, creating a problem for me, and countless other customers with Samsung fridges who are having the same problems!

What's happening? Well, instead of the app on the fridge closing automatically after a period of time, it now stays open and requires someone to close the app, which is a huge pain in the @SS for me, for many reasons... it kills the battery on the Ring Video Doorbell by constantly streaming live video, and it also keeps the screen on the fridge 'awake' when nobody is home.

I even bought a new Ring Video Doorbell PRO so that is wired into the electricity instead of relying on batteries, but still have the SAME problem... the app on the fridge opens when someone presses the doorbell button, but the app doesn't automatically close if unanswered.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've tried signing out of the app on the fridge and signing in again, but it still does the same thing, and Samsung doesn't permit fridge owners to delete/reinstall the app on the fridge.

Not sure what to do.  ***Even the newest update that was pushed out to the fridge today (October 12th, 2023) added some new features including Samsung TV, but didn't resolve the Ring Video Doorbell App problem.***

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
IMHO_1234
Journeyman
Options

Wow I was searching on this topic and I think I hit your reddit post as well. For a new ring door bell user like me, It is comforting to know that it is a new problem, it was not an issue in the past, otherwise I was beginning to think it is a design issue. So after how much time it used to time out in the past?  I have noticed today I have got video recordings of up to 12 minutes when some one rang the bell and no one answered. Hope that time out was less than that?

0 Likes
IMHO_1234
Journeyman
Options

You can send email to support@smartthings.co.uk

0 Likes
BlairArmstrong
Explorer
Options

Email them? Who?

A generic support call center, with untrained staff,  somewhere in the Philippines?

And, is that a global email address? or only for people in the UK?

0 Likes
IMHO_1234
Journeyman
Options

I got this email address when talking to their chat support agent who said this team has the complete know how on this topic and will be able to assist. I have already dropped them the email, I'm a new ring app user. It will be useful if others who have used it for a while can also share their experience with them. If you are in different geography (other than UK), you may chat to their support to find email address for your territory. I will drop an update once I hear from them.

0 Likes
BlairArmstrong
Explorer
Options

Thanks. I've sent them two emails. Please share any response you get from them, and I'll do the same.

0 Likes
BlairArmstrong
Explorer
Options

So, not surprised, but I’ve gotten no response from the emails I sent, did you get a reply?

0 Likes
IMHO_1234
Journeyman
Options

Just received the below reply.

----

Thank you for contacting SmartThings. Apologies for the late response.

We are aware of this issue and it is being looked into. I understand how frustrating this can be and I recommend you sign out of the Ring app on your fridge to stop it from occurring.

I will put your ticket on hold and will get back to you as soon as I have an update to share.

----------

0 Likes
BlairArmstrong
Explorer
Options

@IMHO_1234 wrote:

Thank you for contacting SmartThings. Apologies for the late response.

We are aware of this issue and it is being looked into. I understand how frustrating this can be and I recommend you sign out of the Ring app on your fridge to stop it from occurring.

I will put your ticket on hold and will get back to you as soon as I have an update to share.

----------

"I will put your ticket on hold"  ...really?????  I'm lost for words.

That's not very promising or hopeful at all.

It's truly ridiculous. Was this in response to the email you sent? or a phone call? 

Please share whatever contact info you have (maybe check their email signature) so that others can do the same to really rattle the cages at Samsung, and hopefully get some action on this.  

I sent them another email (third attempt) and asked for an update, or at least a reply.

Thanks for the update.

0 Likes
IMHO_1234
Journeyman
Options

I got this reply through email, same email address I shared above. To me it seems like they are taking this quite seriously, they are suggesting customers to not use the Ring App on their systems so that means they know the gravity of the situation and will hopefully provide the remedy in the next software update. But I agree with you, more customers share their views to them, more impact it may have.

0 Likes