Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Glazy Fold 3 front screen not working - folding turns off device

(Topic created on: 15-09-2022 12:03 PM)
rjohns16
First Poster
Options

Hello, I am looking for some advice regarding a fault that has developed with the Galaxy Fold 3 following downloading the Android update earlier this week but has persisted since factory resets too.

When the device is charging, it seems to work fine. However when it is not charging the device only works when unfolded. When I try to start the device when folded and not charging, it gets to the Samsung logo when starting and then the screen goes black. When I start it unfolded, it works, but then folding the device turns it off (or at least seems to). I also get the pdp backup fail setup wizard error when I try to open the menu to do a hard reset.

This problem first occurred when I was installing the One UI update to Android 12 this week, but has continued following two factory resets. I am trying to arrange an device support appointment in a Samsung store, but none are available for more than a week so I am wondering if there's any advice this forum could provide. When I popped into a Samsung store, they indicated to  me that they thought it might be a hardware problem that would require a screen replacement, but I don't see how that can be, as the device works well when plugged in. I would be grateful for any thoughts on how I might be able to fix this.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Had the same with my Fold3 and others here, nothing to do with software it's hardware, Samsung just won't admit it.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
SamMobile - Samsung news: Unhappy foldable phone customers in Poland might sue Samsung.
https://www.sammobile.com/news/unhappy-foldable-phone-customers-poland-might-sue-samsung/
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
ainsley83
First Poster
Options
Mine started doing this yesterday straight after it updated
0 Likes
hayleyjayne
First Poster
Options
Mine has just started doing this only had it for 4months , anyone got anywhere with it ? Mines due to be sent off to samsung for testing
0 Likes
FreddyMac
Student
Options

This has been happening to me (in Canada) ever since the update rolled out on a regular basis. I doubt Samsung service will be able to do anything until they fix the software all they will do is factory reset your phone and it will start happening again. They need to fix it.

0 Likes
TyBoo
First Poster
Options
Mine just started doing the same after I've updated today. Any resolves to this?
0 Likes