Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Z Flip screen issues - refusal to repair

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
chopkins
Apprentice
Options

Hi Samsung community,

Is it normal for network companies or Samsung to refuse to repair phones that are still under warranty?

My Galaxy Z flip 5G screen stopped working around the fold of the phone, the top layer of the screen is good as new, but there is a black band across the middle of the screen, so it's unusable. It looks like many other people have had the same issue, or similar where the screen cracks,  but when we took it into EE, having sent it off they then said it can't be repaired under warranty because of some scuffs on the outer casing (the usual amount for a phone that goes in a bag most days for 4 months, and nothing on the screen itself). I know I haven't damaged the screen at all - it's clearly a recurring fault with the phone, so why won't they repair a 4-month old defective screen? How often does this happen? And why do they ignore the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

TIA 

Galaxy Z Flip5 #flip #screen 

10 REPLIES 10
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
To put this into perspective. They haven't refused to repair have they, they just refused to do it under warranty. They would of offered a repair at a cost to you, which sounds like you refused. If you feel their decision is wrong then you have every right to challenge and seek legal advice.
keith30
Maestro
Options
That's normal cause with Samsung they give you a warranty but they fail to honour that fact by claiming it's ware and tear. Usually with you having to pay for any repairs carried out. Rubbish company who put profits first.
ChetS
Explorer
Options
Keith, I totally agree with you. My Fold 4, the inner screen has stopped working. This is a well known Samsung fault. Phone is under warranty yet they want nearly £600 because phone is deemed out of warranty due to normal ware and tear. I am disappointed and disgusting by Samsung, having had all major Samsung phones, watches, and tablets. Apple switch is coming!
chopkins
Apprentice
Options

Sorry, yes to be clear you are absolutely right: they won't repair it within warranty. They're saying that because of superficial cosmetic scratches on the case (as I said the interior screen surface is good as new, in fact most of the screen works fine just not the bit around the fold) the warranty is voided. My understanding under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is that within 6 months the burden is on the retailer to rectify faulty product unless they can prove wrongdoing: I could imagine if they refused because of blunt force impact, fire, water damage etc, but for a few unrelated scratches from daily use?! How does one get them to abide by Consumer Rights law?

It's actually EE who sent it to a Samsung-approved repair centre: it's them who are saying that they won't repair it for free. I'm wondering whether it's worth declining that repair, and then getting Samsung to come and pick it up, but presumably it'll just be the same process over again? In fact reading a few other contributions, it sounds like Samsung might even charge more as they'd insist on replacing battery and everything else! Quite the racket! 

Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
There are indeed numerous reports regarding the flip phone and I think it even made it as far as the television. You are fully within your rights to fight this, especially if you believe the decision is wrong and unfair. Firstly, i would reach out to Samsung directly either by a store visit or via the members app (under the support tab). Explain everything that's happened and the condition of the phone. Samsung should be fully aware regarding the issues with this model and hopefully resolve it to your satisfaction. Good luck.
0 Likes
Librajen74
First Poster
Options

completely agree, they lie and say its not working because of a scuff on it but the phone is defective and junk....i will never give them another dime

0 Likes
LIAM BUNN
First Poster
Options

Happened here too!

0 Likes
catherinemanea
First Poster
Options

I have a similar issue except that the entire screen is no longer working, not just a band.  Phone is 6 months old.  I took it in to a certified repair tech, and they refused to fix under warranty due to a cosmetic chip on the hinge.  I am now trying the mail-in service but have little hope.

anynickname
Journeyman
Options
I wish we could raise a Class Action in the UK because I have spoken to several hundred people that have had the same issues and all been left with unusable phones and/or hefty repair bills.

This phone is clearly faulty and should be recalled.
0 Likes