Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Keyboard keeps overriding default keyboard - Gboard or Swiftkey

(Topic created on: 19-02-2024 11:45 AM)
Jazzmaniac
Student
Options

I just upgraded to the Galaxy S24 Ultra from the S20 Note. I had always previously used Gboard as my default keyboard. Yet on the S24 Ultra, the Samsung Keyboard (which I don't like at all) keeps reappearing despite having set Gboard as my default keyboard. I then downloaded Swiftkey and same issue. Samsung Keyboard keeps reappearing despite having chosen Swiftkey as my default keyboard. I have already tried deleting cache of Samsung Keyboard as well as making sure I have most current version of Samsung Keyboard. I would delete the Samsung Keyboard in a nanosecond if I only could. I have wasted far too much time on this issue. I searched on line and found no solution despite many others having the same problem. Help!!!! Please advise, what am I supposed to do to get rid of the reoccurring Samsung Keyboard???

9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I can well understand the frustration this must cause because most definitely this shouldn't happen @Jazzmaniac 

I appreciate you have deleted the cache of the Samsung Keyboard. 

Could you also try > Clear Cache Files from the phone's System Partition Section  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-clear-the-cache-on-my-device/ You may need to insert your earphones or hook upto a powered On Laptop or use a Tv's USB Port to access the Clear Partition Section. This may help with lag or stutters as this clears the phone of old/unused or broken cache files.There is also a Repair Apps option in the Menu System too. 

Sometimes the issue can be an app making this happen too.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate to ask.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Catt78
Pathfinder
Options
I don't understand why would you use gboard or swiftcrap? Samsung keyboard is much better 🤦🏻🤦🏻
Junebug Bugs
First Poster
Options

As a high volume user and after trying both, I've found that  I prefer the Google keyboard for it's advanced features and ease af use. It's really just a personal preference. 

Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Yeah agreed the Samsung keyboard is quite impressive now. I especially like using the S-pen for handwriting to text conversion. It is fast and very accurate for me.
0 Likes
nallacious
Apprentice
Options

I also prefer Gboard to the Samsung keyboard, but I am having a problem where the keyboard doesn't appear for signing on apps, for messages etc.  Yesterday I cleared the Gboard cache and it started working, but today the problem appeared again.  I currently have the S24 ultra, but previously had a S23 and I didn't have this problem.  With the S23 I used Swiftkey.  As Android phone owners, we should be able to use the apps of our own choice and not have Samsung impair the use of other brand apps.

davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

That's strange.  I use Microsoft Swiftkey Keyboard, have it in Settings / General management / Keyboard list and default chosen as my default and never had any issues.  

Could your problem be linked to your browser, is your browser perhaps wanting to 'see' a specific keyboard?

I'm just thinking out loud, I can't imagine if you have a specific keyboard chosen as your default keyboard, that the phone would override your choice.

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
0 Likes
nallacious
Apprentice
Options

I was having the problem with the preinstalled Messages app, Google search, Venmo, and possibly my Chrome browser.  I had Gboard set up as my default app.

The problem may just have to do with the cache.  Each time I cleared the cache, the keyboard returned, but the most recent time this problem appeared, it happened the day after I cleared the cache.  I don't use the keyboard a lot, probably less than the average user.  It seems unreasonable that the default keyboard cache should have to be cleared every day or two.

0 Likes
bentley2700
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy A71 and this da*n problem just started in the last several days.  It's infuriating!  Apparently Samsung has made a bad mistake in a recent update.  Hopefully they'll fix it.  There's a reason the word "default" is used in the default keyboard choice setting, after all.

0 Likes
nallacious
Apprentice
Options

I'm not having this Samsung keyboard problem anymore, but I don't know what I might have done to fix it.  Mostly all I was doing was reselecting GBoard as my default every time the S24 Ultra switched it to the Samsung keyboard.  On a similar topic, I just got my S24 cameras to focus in 10x zoom mode though, by resetting the camera settings.

0 Likes