Did you mean: 

Motion blur - shutter lag/speed

(Topic created on: 08-03-2024 10:12 PM)
SnapShot247
Journeyman
Options
Got the samsung s24 Ultra 
Previously owned samsung Note 20 ultra. 

Taking pictures in any light was not a problem with the note 20. However switching over to the s24 Ultra and found, to my shock, that almost 99% of my photos were blurry whereas if I had taken them with my Note, they would not have been blurry at all. 

Have read on many forums and seen on many articles and YouTube videos and have concluded my findings:

S23 phone also had the shutter lag which I think was fixed (unfortunately I did not find any photo proofs online of those who implemented the changes for the shutter speed so cannot verify that it was indeed fixed) by the installment of the camera assistant app via the samsung app store & clicking on the "capture speed" setting. This capture speed setting is not available on the s24. If it was available, then this would fix the motion blur and shutter speed lag that so many of you have also reported on the s24 range. 

Also I have tried clicking on camera settings -> intelligent optimisation -> minimum. 

If the note 20 can capture a photo with hardly any motion blur, then I should expect a 4 year more superior phone to do the same at least. 

Others have suggested using pro mode or raw mode but doing so would reduce quality eg details are blurred and when compared to a photo captured on the standard camera app, you can't make out small text on objects. 

A faster shutter speed should be made a standard on their normal camera app and should not be expected that those wishing to take even a slightly moving object/person to then go through to the pro mode snd configure a setting just to capture a moving car, their children running around, their pets, etc. 

I took some photos in a supermarket today and found the photos were blurry if I moved my camera even 1mm. How much more blur would happen if I was capturing a moving vehicle???

Current software update is One ui version 6.1 which I'm told is the latest version. 

I would like samsung to update the camera assistant app on the samsung store to include that extra setting: "capture speed" so I can reduce the shutter lag resulting in much less blurrier photos. Alternatively any update they do next should include a reduced shutter speed. (BTW their current latest update was supposed to reduce motion blur but if motion blur happens at even the slightest bit of movement, then I wouldn't call that an update at all) 

Edit: I have found a YouTube video showing someone testing the capture speed update on their s23 phone which is exactly the type of option I would like the engineers to incorporate in their next update. 

https://youtu.be/B7XjJuFNOQA

?si=h8Hx02hde_r2fftt

Edit 2: https://www.themobileindian.com/how-to/how-to-reduce-shutter-lag-in-recent-samsung-flagships#:~:text.... This article explains in more detail the capture speed which is available from models s20 to s23. As its made available for every model so far, I hope they include this in the s24.

Edit 3: Low frame rate / not enough frames per second on video mode via the photo camera. I.e. where you press down on the photo shutter button and hold it in plce until it starts to record.

A quick test that anyone can do is pan left to right using the video mode via the photo shutter button and then note the jagged lagged frames per second. (Even more noticeable is when you use any of the zoom lens). Then using the same photo on the camera app, do not press record or do not press the shutter button and pan left to right and youll find that there is no lagged frames per second. This leads me to conclude that the issue is the processing on the video mode that is applied after pressing record, that causes the lagged frames per second. There doesnt seem to be a steady motion setting/stabiliser where the video is smoother and has less lag. This might contribute to the motion blur in photos. 

15 REPLIES 15
Star_girl
Hotshot
Options
I had shutter lag problem on the Note 20 Ultra and also the same situation persists on the S24U it seems.
0 Likes
SnapShot247
Journeyman
Options
Did your photos on the samsung Note 20 also come out blurry too? Eg when you're capturing moving objects etc
Star_girl
Hotshot
Options
Yes, both my phones had the same shutter lag delay. Picture in normal circumstances nothing to complain, but shutter lag has never been solved.
0 Likes
SnapShot247
Journeyman
Options
For my Note 20, the shutter speed was so fast I could capture individual people in sharp detail on very fast rollercoasters. Not sure if the note 20 had some settings which mightve caused your blurry images.
Star_girl
Hotshot
Options
Probably, I never knew how to solve it.
0 Likes
TheDenny
Voyager
Options
Glad to know I am not the only one. Yesterday was really disappointed with the S24 Ultra camera when taking photos of a football match on the ground. Over 180 photos taken and ALL ARE BLURRY!

My S10+ was and is fantastic in capturing fast moving photos.

The best feature of the S24Ultra is capturing only the moon for me20240224_194707_1000038378_1708804032.jpg
0 Likes
Member_YO
Pioneer
Options
I'm not one for taking many photos but what if u switched this to Minimum?Screenshot_20240309_090107_Camera_1000006727_1709974867.png
SnapShot247
Journeyman
Options
Unfortunately that does nothing for me. Still blurry. They need an actual setting that would target the actual shutter speed, allowing people to capture faster movements.
0 Likes
SnapShot247
Journeyman
Options
Yeah a simple Google search for shutter lag s24 brings up so many others who also experienced the same thing. It blows my mind that something like this is not prioritised especially as in any day and age, there are moving objects everywhere. Eg cars, transports, theme park rides, sports.

What's funny is that on their press live day announcement, they included x10 zoom photos of concerts. I'm pretty sure even concerts aka low light and movement would have motion blur too!
0 Likes